Rising Phoenix Gaming

• Discord is live https://discord.gg/n3Gae5
  • Divine Right a Trinity Continuum Open World PbP
  • Something Wicked: A Teen Witch Chronical
  • Shadows of the Worlf: a Game of Personal Supernatural Horror
  • Three Leaves DnD 5E Campaign
  • Absolute Power Supers Game
  • Code of Conduct Read in Rules Above

While Brigit and Grace played in the surf and the sand under the sun, Sean stood a couple dozen meters away, next to one of the founders of NovaStorm and their host in the Marshall Islands, Ryan Hawke. Well, 'stood' in that the young goddess of a woman floated three inches above the sand, bringing her to eye level with Ryan, curvaceous figure clad in tight yoga pants and a heavily burdened sportsbra, her outline subtly more pronounced by her gravitic shield.

In some ways, her gravitic shield acted as an infinitesimally thin event horizon of a black hole that moved with her every motion, robbing the force, the energy, of any attack sent her way. At least, that was the theory according of the other founder of NovaStorm, Dorothy Zane Klatta, more commonly known at Deezy. Sean took her word for it, she just thought having it active would help her with what she was going to attempt today.

Sean was fascinated by Ryan Hawke, and it wasn't because after several days as an empowered woman she found herself nearly as attracted to men as she was to women and that Ryan was a tall, handsome, leanly muscled man who had that silverfox thing going for him. Or at least, not only that - her sex drive might have risen to something higher than anything she had possessed as a teenaged boy, but she had a much better handle on it now. 

No, it had been the portal Ryan had created to bring her and the other Chicago Nova ladies to Enewetak Atoll. She might not have a particular sense for gravitic phenomenon, but with her tremendous control over gravity manipulation, she did have an affinity for it. She'd seen that portal and had the idea she might be able to create one. Her study of physics had to do with stresses, counterbalances, material strengths, and other areas associated with architecture and building design, but from what she recalled, a blackhole - or Einstein-Rosen Bridge - is caused by a sufficiently strong and compact gravitional collapse. Deezy probably could work out all the math and details, this, she was feeling out intuitively.

Sean's long, straight pony-tail of glistening rose-gold hair lifted in a breeze and she inhaled the fresh, salt-laden air with an inward sigh. The sun and warmth felt good on her bare shoulders after the still relative coolness of Chicago. Under Karen's care - and perhaps nudged along with her captivating presence - Sean had been impressed with how fast things had progressed. She already had a new apartment, furnished apartment, and an entirely new, mostly tailored, wardrobe. She'd have to put on the bikini she bought later, if only because Bikini Atoll wasn't all that far away.

An actual supersuit, designed and created by a Stormer genius like Deezy, was very enticing. Running around Chicago as civic defenders in athleisure wasn't quite the image she had in mind.

She'd gotten her personal documents and identification sorted, adjusted for her new circumstances, a smile and earnest, enthralling request able to expedite things. She had considered changing her name, but decided to keep it, a reminder of who she'd been and who she was, though replacing the middle name Philippe she never used for Fiona. Though she'd been on TV and given a few interviews, she'd deftly danced around questions of where she'd come from so far.

She hadn't gotten any calls or texts from her friends back home, or from her colleagues at Adamson Associates Architects, who had equated the superlatively sensual and attractive young and very female Nova with the mundane, middle-aged male architectural technologist. She smirked to herself - that was well, she still had a chance to surprise them.

"One more time, if you would, Ryan," Sean asked, her sensual soprano rolling over him like the waves lapping at the pristine beach.

Ryan nodded, with a faint, private smile. He wasn't inured to the charms of the outrageously gorgeous young woman, but he was more curious than entranced by the young, new Nova, and perhaps a bit protective. "Of course, Sean. But remember, if you can manage it, you might want to keep that you can form portals quiet. It's a small sample size, but it seems to be a very rare power and many will want to use it for their own ends."

He knew that personally. Sean waved an impatient hand, her lavender eyes already aglow with blue-white quantum energies. He sighed and with an effort of will, a portal rippled into existence. Sean leaned forward, studying the portal intently, her thumbs rubbing the first two fingers on each hand, not so much looking at the portal as trying to feel the space it occupied.

"I got it. I think I got," Sean said, straightening up, shoulders back, letting her feet come back down to the sand. She stared blankly forward, looking beyond the picturesque beach before her. She slowly balled her hands into fists as tight as her elegantly long nails would allow. "Let it go."

Ryan let his portal lapse out of existence. Sean didn't want his portal, its presence perhaps interfering with her attempt at forming one. Ryan didn't want to risk what contact between two portals formed by different means outside of a more controlled situation.

Sean's lips firmed into a tight line as she forced gravity to contract at a pinpoint area of spacetime. At first, nothing seemed to happen. Sean continued, frustrated that there was nothing evident, but stubbornly kept at it, jaw tight, a flash of pearly teeth appearing with her effort. Finally, a spot of matte, depthless black appeared, limned in a faint corona of orange, pink, purple, and yellow luminescence, the light growing brighter as the black hole in spacetime grew large.

While Ryan's portal was more of an irregular oblong, the one Sean was forming was as perfectly circular as a slingring gate in the MCU. Without becoming any less black, her portal seemed to be less... opaque. She could feel the potential in it, one end of her portal right before her, but the other was still... 'flailing' around, needing another point to anchor to. She could feel time running out, if she didn't attach the far end soon, the entire thing would collapse. She began breathing rapidly, not with the effort - it didn't seem to take her any more effort than anything else she did when twisting gravity to her whim - but with anticipation.

She hooked the far end to a place she knew well and she could feel the portal snap into place. The dawn-like incandescence rimming her portal flared and the blackness faded away to reveal a living room decorated in dark furniture, blue-grey carpet and grey-blue walls. There was a large screen OLED tv sitting on a large wall unit, sound system and game consoles rising up on either side. Shelves held a plethora of DVDs, video game cases, and books.

It didn't really look like someplace that would belong to a woman that looked like Sean Cassidy.

"Yes!" Sean crowed in triumph, pumping a fist in victory in a very masculine gesture. Then she clapped her hands in excitement. "I did it! I did it! I can do it, now!"

Ryan was quite happy for Sean, manifesting a new power was an incredible feeling.   Even that however was still tinged with the concern he felt.   To date, Ryan had only heard of three individuals who could open Warp Gates like he did.   He and Sean were the only two confirmed now alive.   Ernesto Guidry was a young man from El Paso, Texas.   He too had the ability to open warp gates, and lost his life when he opened a portal into a busy intersection to escape a group of MS-13 thugs who were chasing him.   He'd been trying to get away, and didn't take into account the time of day.   He was hit by a truck and caused a five car pileup.  Four others died in the accident, and Ryan was greatly saddened by the young man's loss.   

"Congratulations Sean.   Once you get the hang of creating them, you'll find you can manipulate the dimensions of the portal at will.   I can actually make mine a clear window to where I'm going, but I've found that sometimes, it's best not to do so."   He sounded like an instructor, which wasn't far fetched, given his tenure as an Airforce academy instructor.   "Be mindful of where you're opening the gate and the time of day.  You don't want to open it into a busy street and get hit by someone."

In truth, he had his own sensory abilities that allowed him to see where he was going, and more, even from a distance, and this greatly helped ensure he actually got where he wished to go.

"One more thing that makes me abit sad you're all already signed on with someone else."   They were going to be working for the City of Chicago, as Civic defenders.   He wished them well of course, So long as they did no harm to others, he wished all the enhanced well.  Working alongside humanity, showing how beneficial a positive relationship with the Enhanced would be, that was one of the overarching goals of Novastorm.   

"Still, the offer to come here to train, is always open, and work out some sort of consulting gig for all of you, something that shouldn't interfere with your work in Chicago, but lets you help us at Novastorm as well."   He wasn't the negotiator Davian thought he was, and he could only smile.  It took alot of control  to not let his eyes or his mind wander when dealing with Sean.   Ryan knew he was good looking, but Sean made any super model look plain.   her outfit really didn't leave anything to the imagination either.

"So you fly too?"  He smiled   "I think that's the most natural feeling of my own abilities, given my history."  

"Yes she flies, lucky bitch!" That was Brigit coming out of the surf ripping the remains of her shredded outer clothing off, revealing that she had been wearing a skintight Lycra one piece bathing/bodysuit underneath.

Ryan was now surrounded by a beautiful siren on one side and a beautiful female Atlas on the other. As he studied the sculpted shape of Brigit Moran, he could see the faint shimmer of blue white energy playing with the water dripping off her body. She looked none the worse for having just been hit with a force that could have reduced a Mack Truck to metal scrap.

"That was Impressive, you must be near invulnerable," commented Ryan as she joined them.

Brigit shook her head and grinned at Sean, god she was hot, before answering Mr. Hawke. "I don't think so, at least not physically. The energy of the blow, when it hits is absorbed at the direct point of contact, what isn't absorbed is then redirected by a energy field that is basically a second skin. That is how this body suit survived when the other clothes didn't. I'm not certain what would happen if a hit overcame both. wish there was some way to find out without killing myself." She said all this as she wrung the water from her long red hair and tied it back in a ponytail. "As for signing on with Chicago, that's not exactly right. Chicago is my home, I owe it to my city to make them and my family, my first priority."

Ryan was surprised at Brigit changing tracks, he looked out at the surf several yards away, she was out there how did she hear what Sean and I were talking about?

"The legal agreement with Karen, my manger is just that. An agreement with a managing firm, built around Grace, Sean, and myself, and is a business partnership. All of this Nova, superpower stuff is gonna take years for the laws to catch up with. That's what Karen says anyway and this is just to protect us financially and give us some legal protection from lawsuits and stuff."  She turned her angelic smile up to ten and cast it at Ryan, he was pretty hot too in a Josh Brolin-Hugh Jackman sort of way, "It doesn't mean we can't work with you or help you with things if you need us. Just means we can't work for you or more specifically for NovaStorm, but we can subcontract."

As Brigit looked at him and spoke he nodded.   "I think that would work out."  He rubbed his hands against his temples.  "I'm very aware of the legalities and issues going on that focus on the Enhanced, We're working hard to try and ensure we get a fair deal.   The rest of the world will be difficult, some parts far more so than others, but at least in the States, we'll see fairplay."   It was a never-ending battle according to Davian, they were combating fear, greed, paranoia, but the good done by the Enhanced so far went a fair way towards alleviating some of that.

"I do understand about wanting to protect your home.   I know we actually spoke more than once about a Chicago branch of Novastorm.   It is a major transport hub, among other reasons.   We've been expanding steadily, but there's just so much to do."

He smiled. "Subcontracting it is.  I also think Deezy might be able to help you with that expiriment you mentioned.  If anyone can, it would be her."   Ryan himself was very intelligent, but he lacked the scientific background that Deezy had.   Still he'd be willing to help however he could.  "I can call her and see if she's free to come over if you like."

The sharply focused shockwave raced through the water at supersonic speed carried along by the nascent Quantum charge that had been attached by the proximity of the missile’s origin. Chance had placed the impact area on a direct line from the shore to one of the few gaps in the reef which made up the lagoon. And so the shockwave passed out into the greater ocean and into the detection range of something that rested quietly on the bottom of the sea.

Temple Faire was bored, and it was her own fault. Two weeks ago, Davian had asked if she wanted to be tutored privately at home or go to a private school here in Houston. She surprised everyone, including herself, by asking to go to a regular school. It took some convincing but in the end, Davian acquiesced and so Temple had been enrolled at a local public school and began attending classes.

Things went well she was an unknown here, and for the first time since the burn, she felt like a normal teen. The boredom came on her second weekend.

Davian had had to fly to Australia for business, and because of school Temple could not go with him, which was alright during the week, but the weekend came and there was nothing for her to do.

While she was making friends, none of the new kids she had met were good enough friends yet for her to spend a weekend with and Davian was too far away for her to get a good fix on so she could not step to where he was since she had never been there before. Cassie, her best friend at NovaStorm, was off somewhere doing her thing, and so here was Temple bored stiff at home on a Saturday.

It was almost lunch when she found out that Deezy and Ryan had taken some New Nova’s to the testing facility in the pacific. Temple had spent some time there when Deezy was doing the radiation cleanup a few months back and she had a great read on the portal room they had built there from when Ryan warped Davian back and forth for the negotiations with the islanders. In other words, it was a place she could step to even though it was a long way away, and there were new people to check out.

He opened his eyes and sniffed the water. He smelled the energy-food in the shockwave and opened his inner eye. The terrible pressure of the deep didn’t phase him but the hunger did, and this was the first scent of food he had caught in weeks. With effort he pushed himself out of the muck and kicked his enormous limbs tracing the smell of the energy back to its source back to the islands that had been his home…

Temple squinted as she stepped out into the bright morning sunshine, wow it was hotter than she had thought it would be. She took off her plaid shirt and tossed it on a table leaving her in jeans and a t-shirt, next she slipped her feet out of her sneakers leaving her barefoot. Long pants were not good, she thought and  a quick bit of improvised clothing surgery with a pocketknife she carried, and she was in cutoffs and a t-shirt and ready for the beach.

She heard the sonic boom of Grace’s Marble breaking the sound barrier at sea level and stepped to the beach where she could just make out the Nova’s doing their thing.

Grace had just set the second marble and was about to let it fly when she realized that someone was standing a couple of yards away to her left, where just a second before there had been nobody.

Grace had spoken, briefly, with their host, Ryan, and decided to let the other two women have that conversation. She'd had her first great adventure already, knew what to expect from her powers, and this whole new Chicago team? Hmmm. She just hoped it wouldn't go wrong again. Punching monsters was easy. Placing yourself between you and the common herd of humanity when you could shrug off what would explode them. Living with what came as a result of those split second calls? That was the trick, and the first time they made a mistake that ended up doing more harm than good... Hmmm.

Her introspection, and drawing another bead on a hypothetical target over the water, was brought to a halt by Temple's arrival. Grace didn't startle, inhuman calm and the assurance of near-invulnerability giving her the moment she needed to breathe. "Hello. Didn't see you coming," she confessed with a smile, grey eyes scanning the beach and noting a lack of tracks, "Are you with Novastorm? If you want some beach, there's plenty to share."

"No one," Temple began on one side and stepped to Grace's other side," ever sees me coming. I'm Temple. You're Apex, right?" The teen didn't wait for the answer she already knew, "How do you do that with the rock? Show me." Temple glanced sideways at Grace and as an after though added, "Please?"

The leviathan paused but his momentum carried him forward the scent had become lost muddied by the currents. What direction? where was the food?

Brigit saw that Grace down the beach was now engaged with someone new so she smiled at Sean and Ryan, "Actually, what I would really like is lunch. Getting beat up by Apex makes a girl hungry."

"I could go for lunch," Sean agreed, returning Brigit's smile, letting her eyes graze over the woman's powerful, heavily muscled contours well displayed in form-fitting lycra. There was an almost electric edge to Brigit's natural scent from the dying glow fading with the drying sea water. She her grin on Ryan, arching an inquisitive brow. "Perhaps you could call Deezy and see if she's available and we could talk, work out a time that's best for her and all? I'm in no rush if it means spending some more time on these lovely islands."

She might have lost about eighty pounds, and had a waist half the size it once was, but with her transformation, her appetite - appetites, even - had reverted to what it had been as a teenaged boy. And with her greatly expanded olfactory sense, her interest and delight in had also expanded, taking pleasure in trying new food and cuisine and drink, rather than just consuming it for fuel.

Brigit called her a lucky bitch, and Sean could only agree. She was a lucky bitch. Her smile widened as her feet lifted from the sand and she drifted through the portal she had made, finding herself in her living room back in her house in Ottawa. Her nipples tightened at the sudden drop in temperature. She'd kept the heat down while traveling and it was much cooler here than in the Marshall Islands. Her full lips quirked at the sight of snow still on the ground outside.

Figuring out how to make portals of her own, Sean figured she'd get used to finding herself in new climates and weather and seasons with just a step. Once she had traveled a great deal more in more conventional ways. Making her first traversable wormhole, she realized she'd only be able to open them to places she'd been to or knew well or could visualize with a high degree of specificity.

At least finishing moving and packing up her house for sale would be easy. With a completely unnecessary wave of a slender finger, Sean opened another portal with only a slight furrow of brows, this one from her house in Ottawa to her apartment in Chicago. With the application of gravitokinesis and the aid of two super strong girl friends, they'd be done in no time. Sean wondered if the traditional pizza and beer would suffice or if Brigit and Grace would prefer something else.

Sean floated through the second portal into her new apartment, still spartanly furnished. She idly began considering what to take from her house and what to place into storage, what to keep from the man she'd been and what to acquire as the woman she was swiftly adjusting to being. She sniffed, her expression growing wistful at the lingering scent permeating the bungalow of her golden retriever, Keesha. She would definitely becoming with her to Chicago.

Sean pursed her enticing lips. Will Keesha realize who I am when I get her from the kennel?

Sean formed another dawn-rimmed portal - it took some concentration, but no more effort than anything else she did when manipulating gravity, which was to say, it took about as much effort as breathing - and step out onto Brigit's other side and slightly behind, admiring that view as well. All the wormholes Sean had made winked out as their peripheries collapsed into nothing.

Sean slid through the air about Brigit, her rose-gold hair flaring and gleaming brightly under the tropical sun. "And anytime you want to go flying," Sean said, lavender eyes sparkling with amusement and quantum fires as Brigit felt the peculiar sensation of the touch of gravity growing lighter and lighter. "Just say the word." She winked at Ryan. "It's sort of - but not entirely - like directed falling, really, but yeah, flying is amazing."

Ryan chuckled.   "It varies for different people.   Mine's more like a feeling of liberation."   He nodded.  "I will send Deezy a message and see if she's free, and open a gate for her if so.   Now, We've got a good cafeteria here on the island, though if you're hungry for something in particular, We do offer Delivery."

"Why don't we get Grace and.."  He looked over to her, and saw Temple standing with her.   "Well, it seems we've another guest for lunch."   he pulled out his phone and sent a text to Deezy.  They were nineteen hours ahead, so it was actually breakfast time back in Seattle.   "We're about to eat lunch here, I think our new friends have some questions for you.  If you're free, I can send a gate for you and you can join us."

He hit send and nodded.   Too much time in a lab wasn't good for anyone.

Edited by Shameless

On 3/26/2021 at 7:47 AM, Divine Right Co-Storyteller said:

"No one," Temple began on one side and stepped to Grace's other side," ever sees me coming. I'm Temple. You're Apex, right?" The teen didn't wait for the answer she already knew, "How do you do that with the rock? Show me." Temple glanced sideways at Grace and as an after though added, "Please?"

"Sure," Grace agreed, displaying her marble for the girl, wondering what happened to make a girl who looked as young as Temple to trigger, "First, I need to protect it from my strength with just a little bit of power or else it'll explode in my hand. Next, I set it up so I can push it with my thumb with just enough spin to fly straight. Third, I need to make absolutely sure that I want to destroy whatever is in the path of my marble by the time it finally finishes exploding a small hole straight through everything in it's path."

She gestured for the girl to step back a few feet, lining up a shot on the bay, roughly the same patch, "All I am is strong and tough, so I've had to get creative when it comes to not punching problems that need stopping. It's not just about being strong; it's about being smart. Although it looks like you've got the smart down already with your... What do you call what you do when you cheat your way from here to there? I've read as many terms as there are Stormer fans out there."

While Temple thought, Grace let loose with her shot, not breathing to steady her aim, and letting the explosive crack of her deadly marble echo up and down the beach, a plume of water hopefully not marking the death of some hapless tropical fish or three.

• Like 1

"We're about to eat lunch here, I think our new friends have some questions for you.  If you're free, I can send a gate for you and you can join us."

Deezy's reply was almost immediate: "Yes. Hold on."

A few seconds later, "Okay. Hold on."

Then a few seconds after that: "At portal room. Ready!"

When Ryan opened the warp portal, Deezy hopped through it. She had a habit of hopping, so as not to accidentally drag a foot over the bottom edge of the portal and carving off a piece of her sole. Her bright orange-red hair still had a bit of 'floatiness' to it, common for being shortly after getting up in the morning, and she was wearing a green T-shirt with a radiation trifoil on it, and a pair of white shorts, and the latest iteration of her MARS Rig exosuit, which was slimmer in profile than its first version, but still looked very odd in combination with her informal outfit.

"Hey everyone!" she called gaily. The servos in the exoframe's arm whirred as she waved a hand over her head. "Always meant to visit Chicago! It's nice! Not as windy as its epithet would have me believe!" After a very brief pause, Deezy added, "...also, mysteriously missing a skyline. Huh!"

She tromped over to where Ryan was standing. "Okay. Questions. Hit me! I'm like a pinata full of answers!"

Edited by SalmonMax

On 3/27/2021 at 5:18 PM, Grace "Apex" Williams said:

Grace let loose with her shot, not breathing to steady her aim, and letting the explosive crack of her deadly marble echo up and down the beach, a plume of water hopefully not marking the death of some hapless tropical fish or three.

Ryan, Deezy, Brigit, and Sean all snapped theirs heads around as the marble shot from Apex’s hand and immediately broke the sound barrier.

Temple grinned as her extra senses followed the flight of the marble as it careened into the lagoon skipped a few times then lept over the protective reef out into the ocean beyond.

The teenager beamed up at Grace, “That was fucking awes…” Temples head snapped back at the ocean then up and she grabbed Grace and stepped just as a missile hurtled down from the sky and smashed into the ground right where they had been standing with a mighty boom.

Grace was startled by the sudden vertigo of moving through no-space to suddenly be a hundred yards away from where she had just been,  the sensation had been one of simultaneous heat and cold. Temple who had grabbed her, sagged she appeared dazed then Grace saw what had caused Temples action.

It was the broken and crumpled bow of a world war two destroyer rusted and covered with coral and sea-life. As the sand which had exploded out of the newly formed crater fell back to earth, Brigit looked away and up at first it was whistling sound then she saw it the rest of the ship that belonged to the broken bow.

“Watch out!”

The main body  of the destroyer slammed into the beach creating and even larger crater as the ship buried itself leaving its aft pointing to the sky the name of the ship now visible as decades of underwater gunk was shocked loose, USS ANDERSON, sunk in 1946, as a result of Nuclear test Abel.

Brigit turned her enhanced vision to the sea and saw something, ”There!’ She pointed and Ryan followed her direction and saw a wake moving toward the island at over a hundred knots!

Something was coming!

Spoiler

Temple is dazed from the exertion of teleporting grace and herself (first time she ever did that) they are now a further hundred yards up the beach from the other four. the destroyer parts are in two craters where grace and temple had been. the object at sea is huge and will arrive in a minute or so. that how much time you have to prepare.

The two pieces of Destroyer were huge, and Ryan yelled "Temple!"   reflexively.   He could see that they were alright, though Temple seemed to dazed by what she'd done.    "Whatever's coming is big.  We need to get the others here off the Island. Deezy, if you can make some appropriate "ammunition" for Grace we'd all be obliged.   Whatever this is, we can't run away before it gets here, so we better get ready."

He keyed the communicator for a direct line to the Command center for the Island facility. "This is Gatekeeper.  We have a code Red.  All personnel are to immediately make their way to the bunker.   This is not a drill."  He keyed off the channel and looked to the others.   "Brigit, Sean, we could use the help, if you would.  We can talk shop and settle up later if you don't mind."

He could call for reinforcements, but they were scattered everywhere right now, which would leave him unable to evacuate the staff on the island.

He looked at them, understanding if they left, but in the end, he didn't say anything more than that they needed help.  It would be their choice and he'd respect it.   He began looking around, watching the surge coming toward them.  "Please don't be what I think you are." Ryan whispered softly.

"Neat trick, Temple," Grace stated flatly to the semi-conscious girl, pondering the massive wreckage littering the beach where they had been standing. She didn't *think* that she'd have been terribly hurt by it, but it would have taken her longer to get out from under all that then they safely had judging by the wake which seemed to have so much attention. A friendly making that wake wouldn't be half as interesting.

"Grab onto me, Okay?" she offered, before picking up the girl bridal style and holding her securely in arms that while they looked slender and felt soft on the surface had cords of muscle anchored to bones with strength to spare. The blonde stormer launched off the beach, aiming for the cluster of her peers, momentum cut to a lesser speed for Temple's comfort.

"Mr. Hawke. Any idea what threw that?" she began without preamble as the sand cloud cleared from her impact, kneeling to set her wide-eyed passenger down, tone flat and calm, "If it's not friendly, drop me on their head when they show up, and I'll buy you all time." 

Sean was bemused by the arrival and appearance of the other founder of NovaStorm, but didn't have much time to reply when to the salt and sand of the beach were added the scents of rusting metal and briny barnacles of the old WWII hulk. At Brigit's pointing arm, Sean spun gracefully in the air to follow it, just making out the churning white water of the powerful wake, which was growing larger by the instant. Despite the blatant danger, the gorgeous young woman seemed nonplussed, almost blasé.

The gravitic field she enwrapped herself in greatly mitigated harmful force directed at her, but Sean still wasn't all the sanguine about finding out what would happened if something that massive had landed on her. Her lavender eyes, starting to grew bright once more with rising quantum fires went from the wake to the ship and back, a delicate brow arching. It was much to big for her to move with her gravitokinesis.

Between her and Ryan, they might be able to evacuate the island, this island any way, but there were others. And whatever was coming, was coming fast. The winsome woman flashed Ryan a ravishing wry smile, then glanced at her fellow teammates from Chicago. "I might suddenly be feeling rather underdressed for the occasion, but there isn't any need to settle anything up, Ryan. We're not about to walk away from something like this. In Chicago, or elsewhere. But we might want to split up if it can through shit that big around."

Sean had some idea about Brigit's and Grace's capabilities and how tough they were, but she didn't know about Ryan or Deezy or the new girl Grace had jumped over with. Sean waved a hand, opening a wormhole. "That goes to the other side of the island, if anyone needs to get clear for a moment. I'm taking to the skies."

Suiting action to words, Sean fell smoothly upwards, giving herself a better vantage to see what was coming their way while spreading out so they couldn't all be clobbered at once. Her eyes were nearly a solid blue-white with potential energy as she gathered her manipulative prowess over one of the fundamental forces of the universe, the force that kept celestial bodies in motion.

She might not be able to move something as massive as the warship, but she could focus gravity on something - or someone - so intensely, she could smash it or crush with nearly the force Grace could with her hands.

This was crazy, thought Temple as her head cleared from pushing her power to carry Apex out from under the first missile. The push had hurt and spun her head inside out and it didn’t help to have the second half of the ship smash into the ground with a sonic shockwave and explosion of kinetic energy that made her want to throw-up, and then to top it all off Apex grabbed her and lept into the sky carrying them the two hundred and sixty-four yards (Temple didn’t think in metric so her brain calculated everything in good old standard American measurements,  brains are funny that way) to join the rest of the Novas on the beach. As soon as Apex let her go she bent over at the waist, hands on her knees and gagged then gasped in lungs full of air, but she didn’t throw up which was nice. “It stopped,” she said between gasps.

Sure enough, the wake that had been racing toward the lagoon seemed to fade out at about a hundred meters short of the entrance, the surrounding waters calming to their normal ebb and flow with the breakers smashing against the reef as if nothing had been there.

Both Brigit and Ryan, enhanced their vision and studied the ocean where they thought it should be. “I don’t see anything,” Brigit said as she took a step toward the surf. Suddenly the water erupted at the entrance of the lagoon a spray of foam rising some fifty feet and in the middle of it a nightmare!

It was just under fifty feet in height, and it burst from the ocean like a kaiju from some Japanese monster movie, its roar, the crash of the surf multiplied tenfold, it was an odd greenish tan in color and its hide had both scaly and leathery characteristics, like a reptile. Its five fingered hands were heavily webbed for swimming with the appendages tipped with long curved black claws the size of swords. Its head was covered with horned plates and its mouth was a forest of needle-sharp teeth too numerous to count. Its lower legs were underwater, but it appeared to be crouching as its gaze scoured the beach, its body swiveling at the waist, its neck not immobile, but limited in range of movement.

The Monster

Spoiler

cyrus-rouhani-the-deep-underwater-monster.thumb.jpg.2c2db2da3e96ad8513f549225c8e6640.jpg

Initiative 

Spoiler

The monster has not locked in on the stormers, so it is still looking all over the beach, giving the impression of poor eyesight.

the stormers have the initiative at this moment. This is how we will be doing initiative Each player rolls the lower of Athletics + Cunning or  Empathy + Dexterity. These dice pools are designed to factor in both physical reaction time and perceptual processing speed.

The number of successes each player generates is his character’s order of action. On your turn you may act, or you may pass your action to another player who has not yet acted. If you pass your action to another you still get to act but only after everyone else has acted or if you are designated by someone else. This is to allow power and stunt set ups.

In the case of if one or more characters having the same number of sux on initiative, determine the tie breaker by how many dice were in each pool. If the number is still tied, I will set the order.

"Good, it'll fit."  Was Ryan's muttered comment when the creature revealed itself.   It was adapted to survive in the sea, That was all well and good, no telling how it would move on land.   If it came to it, Ryan could gate it into space, though he figured Deezy would get mad at losing the chance to study it.

"Sean, if you would, try to trap it in an increased gravity field.   That should slow it down some and hinder it's movements so it will be easier to hit.   Be on your guard everyone, there's no telling how it will move on land."   Gators could move very fast in a straight line sprint, so he was more than a little wary of this creature.

Spoiler

init roll
Details:[5d10 (3 6 10 9 10)] +1 for mega cunning

Edited by Shameless

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan stared at the nightmare then glanced at Deezy whose stare was showing a little more shock. "Deezy," he said, "Grace could use some ammo."

Deezy looked at Grace then at the ship. "Right," she said and broke into a run. As she ran struggling trough the sand, the beast out at sea must have picked up the movement, it roared sounding like a movie monster. Deezy ignored it, her head was making calculations and constructing formulas, her arms held outstretched in from of her, hands and fingers moving as if she were working a computer or some exotic controls only she could perceive.

At the ship, a massive piece of hull peeled away and sort of crumbled into a strange cloud of particulate matter. the cloud didn't fall or blow away, instead it separated and divided and multiplied until six gleaming  slugs of ultra dense metal coalesced out of its particles and fell at graces feet.

"That's a start," yelled Deezy as she ducked behind the ship, "I'll make you more if you need!"

Spoiler

Grace's turn. The slugs have the brutal and piercing tags

Grace wasn't worried. Even without her unnatural calmness, she'd killed bigger with more distractions and less able support. She couldn't even recall off the top of her head when this many Stormers had been gathered in one place to solve a problem so manifestly simple as Group Up and Hit It Till It Dies. It may not have been that simple, but why borrow trouble when it could be that simple? No bystanders. No vital infrastructure to protect. Just her and a large target and team of Stormers at her back.

She almost smiled as she stooped to pick up one of the slugs in her hand, tossing it up and down like the world's densest softball. A quick push from her quantum reserves and the slug was embraced in her power, as much a part of her as her skin and bones far as her inhuman strength was concerned.

The blonde stormer took up a pitcher's stance, wheeled back her arm and wound it forward with all the force she could muster, releasing at just the right moment to split the air in front of her with an explosive crack as it went supersonic out of her grip, enroute for the center point of the monster's torso.

Spoiler

Attuning a slug to throw as a free action.

Followed by Might+Athletics

[9d10 (10 3 10 10 4 4 8 9 4)] 4 total successes plus 3 exploding dice.

[3d10 (2 4 10)] 5 total successes plus 1 exploding die.

[1d10 (10)] 6 total successes plus 1 exploding die

[1d10 (2)] And Fin.

6 Total successes at scale five to apply the hurt to fishzilla.

Edited by Exile_Jeane
better die pools.

Like Roger Clemans, Grace winds up and pitches the Deezy Slug like a pro. The round left her hand and broke the sound barrier with a sonic shock wave that almost flattened the rest of the crew. The slug shot down range at the unknown creature trailing silver fire as the air burned off the outer protective coating.

The time from the instant it left Apex’s hand to it impact with the monster could only be measured with scientific instruments, to the Stormers it seemed instantaneous, yet still the monster had sensed the danger and moved to protect itself folding  down into a smaller target and placing its massive, armored shoulder like a shield to protect its torso.

The impact was like a bomb as the incredible dense slug slammed into the creature transferring its raw kinetic force into the giant thing. The flash of light was unexpected and so was the still standing beast which unfolded from its defensive posture and roared its anger at the beach!

Spoiler

after scale is applied Apex has a total of 10 sux. monsters defense is 4 and armor is 4.  this si enough to hit and do critical damage to the monster take two wounds. the beast is wounded but not severely.

Brigit is next she passes her action to Sean and now goes after Ryan.

Hovering high above the sand and surf, Sean's long, gleaming hair fluttered like a sail from the shockwave of Grace's silvery bullet. Her exquisite features were smooth while her lavender eyes were alight with blue-white energy as she studied the beast. This was a far cry from some gangers in a rundown part of Chicago. It was a literal Kaiju from a monster movie.

And while she might look like a glamorous and desirous damsel from such a movie, Sean was far from helpless. She didn't think she could manipulate the gravity about the monster in a focused enough way to lift it, but she thought she could do enough to slow it down, maybe even stick it in place to give Grace and Brigit more time to hammer at it.

Slender fingers curled, hands turned and slowly closed with each other as though Sean was trying to compact something between them, a physical sign of the fundamental force she bending to her will and enacting upon the monstrous creature before and below her.

Spoiler

Quantum Anima - Grab attack (as Quantum Attack with the Entangle tag, Scale 3 for Might, if applicable or matters) - Quantum + Power: 8d10 (I'll add momentum if there is any afterward)

Details:[8d10 (4 2 4 3 5 9 10 9)] 
Details:[1d10 (7)]
4 successes 

Falling ships and monsters was not what Temple had in mind to alleviate a boring weekend. She had stared like everyone else as the monster rose from the waves and as grace hurled the first of the Deezy made missiles at the monster which seemed to shrug it off with little difficulty. The things roar following the Apex fast pitch had shook Temple loose and she did what she usually did, she stepped.

Deezy didn't even notice the girl appearing beside her she was concentrating, improving the next gen slugs she was busy manufacturing. Temple watch Dezzy for a second then leaned out to see The gorgeous girl from Chicago floating in the sky sending what looked like ripples of force at the monster. What ever they were they didn't seem to have any effect on it. She heard the other girl, Brigit,the one that looked like a barbie on massive steroids shouting, "Ryan open me a gate to that thing, we need to keep it off the island!"

Temple looked out again at the monster. Temple had a bad habit slipping into minds she had no business slipping into, so bad it was almost instinctual and today was not different. The monster was within her range so she didn't need to push her mind simply crossed the distance and slipped in. She scanned dogs and cats all the time, once she scanned a lizard, that had been weird. There wasn't much going on in an animals mind, they were concerned with basic needs and didn't have coherent thoughts like people, they relied on image memory, Taste, smell, and emotion. They could communicate but it was difficult to understand. She didn't expect much different from the monster.

Boy was she wrong.

Spoiler

Temple is doing a mind scan on the monster. Ryan is up next then Brigit.

When Brigit Asked for a gate, he gave her one, just behind the back of the creature's head.   With Brigit's strength, she should be able to get a good hit in on a vital weakpoint from there.

Whether he could bring her back, he wasn't certain, but he'd definitely try.   "Give it hell."    While he had a wealth of combat experience, his powers weren't geared for it, still he'd do what he could to help his comrades, and protect everyone on the island.   He smiled at Deezy.   "Did you think we'd be having to defend our Island so early on?"    As the Cofounders of the company that owned the island, it was technically theirs after a fashion.   

Spoiler

Details:[8d10 (1 5 2 9 5 10 1 9)]  3 successes

Brigit didn’t wait she began running into the surf, and Ryan didn’t disappoint as the hole in the air blossomed in front of her. She lept through it and right onto the back of Fishzilla’s neck her fist  cocked and ready when she landed. She grabbed onto a scale with her left and let her right fist deliver a massive blow to the back of the things head where it joined with its neck.

She expected results. Didn’t happen the thing didn’t even grunt as her fist rebounded from the armored scale and she was nearly thrown off by her own recoil. The monster did crouch and turn its head one way then the other in an effort to see what had hit it.

Spoiler

Brigits hit was nice

!roll 9d10ie10t7

Dice Maiden
BOT
 — Today at 7:54 AM
nina_blain Roll: [10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 6, 5, 2, 1], [9, 9, 9, 6] Result: 8

unfortunately her scale 2 wasn't enough to punch past its scale 3

no damage to the creature

• 3 weeks later...

And the creature taking it's eyes off of her prompted Grace to crouch and pick up the second of Deezy's killer orbs. She exhaled, attuned the projectile, and wound up her armor for a second verse, same as the first, round of human-launched rail gun slug. Well, as human as one could consider her body at the end of the day, and boy was that a shit storm of posting online. 

Apex didn't know which side to fall on given that her need for sleep seemed to have faded away since joining her new team, an unsettling blessing.

The blonde powerhouse was certain about what to do right now though, shifting a few steps to ensure her shot didn't line up with Brigit's body in case she missed.

Spoiler

Only Her Railgun Can Shoot It?

Might+Athletics

!roll 9d10 [10, 8, 8, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3] 3 successes, one exploding die

!roll 1d10 [9] 1 more success

4 total successes + scale five on puncturing fishzilla.

• Nina locked this topic
  • Nina unpinned this topic