Sign in to follow this  
Krul

Shores of Eire

The Isle of Eire, one of the more mystical places on Aerth, home to the Tuatha Dé Danann, a group of divinities with connections to both fae and mortals.  Their traditional enemies, the Fomorian demons are mostly trapped beneath the isle, though in places they occasionally break though.  There are also plenty of mystical teleportation circles to Arcadia, the moon above, and as a result, many fae live here, under the rule of the Tuatha, rather then under the reign of Myrdwen and his Ladies.  But, not only fae, but a number of other races can also be found here, the selkie upon the shores, the wildlings of the forests, humans within their cities and many others.  Other then Britannia, is one of the few locations upon Aerth with portals to Arcadia, most of the rest of the world had to use more difficult methods to travel between the glittering moon above and the land below.

The Tuatha are devoted to the Ethos of Creativity, Imagination and Honor, as such their word is their bond, they encourage human development, they love and support music, dance, and just about every creative art that humanity has ever come up with, but also have a sense of humor and a tendency toward making folks earn their way, and are as likely to be difficult as they are accommodating, though they honor certain traditions of hospitality quite deeply.  They also have contests with one another that can get seriously out of hand by mortal standards, though most of the mortals of the isle tend to make the best of it.

The Fomorians are demons and traditional enemies of the Tuatha, however are a more serious problem for the people of Eire.  If it were not for the assistance of the Fae from Arcadia, then it could have been much worse however, though there are a number dark and twisted places within the caverns and forests that lead into the twisted demon realms of the Formians, though the activities of quite a few beings and groups work to keep them from doing anything major

Here on the shore, was a strange temple, dedicated not just to the Tuatha, but also to their many friends and allies over the years, some of whom were asleep, no longer having worshipers, being quite, but those whose gods were active glowed in a soft light.  It was here, to this shore that our various adventurers had been directed, for one reason or another.

Edited by Krul
Correcting Grammar & Spelling

Bundled up against the cold wind coming off the water around her, the dark-skinned young woman leaned against the ferry's railing. Her eyes scanned the approaching shoreline as the aethertech engine burbled and popped below deck. Thoughts tumbled behind those dark eyes, wary thoughts that had her periodically reach up and run calloused-fingers over the finish of the bow slung over her shoulder, the two quivers at her hips, for the hundredth time. The crew and other passengers gave her a wide berth, leaving Kamala Alhazred alone with her brooding intensity. 

That left her perfectly happy to be blunt, in no mood to talk.

She was six years and a long way from home, this Azorii refugee, and something about being trapped on a boat enroute to an island from another island *still* had her on edge. Nowhere to run if things went south. Still, she had faith in Pharas, and this was one of his errands, bestowed upon her with a self-destructing letter, a ferry ticket, and a cup of tea that was still warm when she had gotten home from 'work' that day. Kamala dreamed of catching Pharas in the act some day, every Lightkeeper did, but none of them ever had. Not yet anyway. It had to be something she could do with her gifts. So if this was what he wanted, she'd do her usual procedure.

Liquidate non-essential items. Pay off her debts. Get on the road.

Or ferry in this case. Kamala huddled into her layers as another cold, wet wind blew over her, pressing her lips together and shaking her head. One finger ran over the hard bulge underneath her coats, tracing the outline of a cat-shaped silver pin. "Oh, stars take me for a fool," she muttered softly, glancing down as a fine-furred Egyptian cat stalked up to her with a rat in it's mouth, the ghost of a smile settling onto Kamala's face, "So you did find something. Is that for you or for me?" 

albino-siamese-21346998.jpg.5e6811f97d2ef7b8d8ab29a99743ac05.jpgThere was a trace of amusement in the cat's liquid blue eyes as she laid the rat down at Kamala's feet and mewed up at her, then rubbed her cheek against her boot.

Moments like this, it was easy to forget what she really was. Eilessa loved playing parts, and did it well.

A cat was at least easier to take care of in the cold and gloom than some of the other forms Kamela had seen the goddess take. Easier to take care of, but harder to communicate with. A cat's face revealed little beyond the hint of mischief in the slight squint in her eyes and the keen switching of her tail. She was pleased with something, herself if past experience was a guide. Kamala was doing what she wanted, and merited a reward.

Other gods passed out boons and blessings. Eilessa? A rat. Praise be.

“It was a fool’s errand, Ori, you are hopeless, running hither and yon following vague clues and rumors. We both know that it will return when it deems it is time to return, and not a moment sooner and that when it does, it will come to me, wherever I may be, for I am still it’s master.”  The ‘and you are nothing’ was left unspoken yet still Orionthi heard it in the tone of his voice.  She glances down and to her left where the skull sat and wonder why she had bothered to take it out of its place at the bottom of her satchel. She sighed silently, you know why, she thought, because you were lonely and needed to hear another voice. Even his. “Perhaps you should be silent, Cadadycus, lest you annoy me and cause me to hurl you into the sea in a bag weighted with stone.” 

She popped a couple more of the small fried tubers the locals call potatoes into her mouth and, not for the first time, wish she had bought some spices at the last town she had visited. The town where she had heard the rumors of a mysterious tower that had grown from the rocks of this forsaken coast overnight. Those rumors had spurred her to cut short he stay and set out to this remote area seeking the Tower for it was to much coincidence that it sounded and acted like her tower.

For several days she had traveled, at first by horse but the animal grew lame and she had lacked the skill to heal it so she set it free and continued on on foot, only to arrive where the rumors had led her and to find no Tower but instead the ancient buildings of what she thought was temple of some sort. She observed for a time from the hill she was still upon and saw no one. It looked abandoned yet it was not overgrown nor in disrepair so someone must tend to it. She had decided not to approach but to instead observe for a time and had settled on the hill, taking the remains of her last evening meal out to break her fast.

Suddenly she heard a sound which was not natural it came from the sea and was barely audible between the crash of the waves against the shore. Ori stood and looked out at into the fog which shrouded the coast and concentrated.

Ori’s eyes narrowed and turned dark as her vision focused on a point beyond the fog which became a boat. Focusing further revealed a dark-skinned woman on the deck talking to something at her feet which Ori could not see. She glanced down at Cadadycus then back at the boat. More strange coincidence. Making up her mind she gathered her things and shoved the protesting skull into her satchel where the rags at the bottom absorbed his lamentations. Then, with a glance at the temple she started her way down the hill toward the shore where the boat would make landfall.

"Praise be," breathed Kamala, kneeling down and accepting the gift in the spirit it was intended, wrapping the small chunk of protein in a piece of cloth before slipping it into her satchel. You never knew when a good bit of protein might be needed, and everything became meat if you cooked it well enough. She popped up again as foggy white began to give way to vague black silhouettes against white and then to the shape of a pier and a trail leading up to a shoreside temple. *The* shoreside temple mentioned in Pharas' letter unless she missed her guess. Showtime.

"You brought that to distract me *just* now, didn't you? Clever cat," she conceded with a respectful laugh, feeling worlds better as the prospect of landfall became more and more real.

Stars, she hated being on the water. fingers flashed over her person taking inventory of her mostly-hidden arsenal. Bow, check. Quivers, check. Batons, check. Lockpicks, check. Knives, check. Satchel, check. *More* knives, check. The shout of sailors getting into position to secure lines and lug across a gangplank was mere background to this almost-fussy checklist and impromptu grooming. The goal was to look 'Don't Screw With Me' wary, not 'Serial Killer  On The Hunt' wary. She spotted someone hustling down the slope to meet the ship, but nothing that tainted her relief at going ashore asap. "After you," she offered to goddess in disguise, lowering her hood to let her black-dyed hair puff out into the open air.   

Edited by Exile_Jeane
Knowledge is Half the Battle

Long had ridden many ferries before,  it wasn't always wise to advertise one's actual abilities, so he used mundane means often when traveling in  or near the company of others.  Still he recognized the calls, they'd finally arrived, and He rose from the crouched position he'd maintained for far too long.

Those people near him reacted with some trepidation, having forgotten just how large he was.   Wrapped in a large thick cloak, it wasn't until he moved that they became aware of how inhuman he was.  He wore no boots, his large feline feet standing out, and from beneath his hood they could see a feline muzzle peak out. The people reeked of fear, but clasp of his cloak was the emblem of the Adventurer's Guild, and spoke well of both his accomplishments as such, and the trust the guild put in him.  He'd already seen to paying the fare, and the people parted before him.  

He'd been content to wait his turn, he wasn't known for being impatient.   Still he'd he glad to get dry land under his feet.   He made his way to where the gangplank was being deployed, noting a dark haired woman standing there, looking as if she very much wished to be off the boat.    At her feet was a small cat, which made him chuckle softly.  'Seems I wasn't the only  one aboard after all."   What he meant wasn't elaborated upon, but he strode on, nearing the woman and her pet.

eddy-shinjuku-adiliath-web.thumb.jpg.e5e2fd477201ffa436649d4ad32bdd55.jpg

One moment, there was no one there, the next, a lovely woman, or elf, or fae, or whatever she was, was suddenly standing there at the shore waiting for each of you, she bowed equally to each of the individuals present, the wizard, the cat, the champion and the girl.  It was pretty much certain, considering how she appeared, that this was no ordinary woman,  though who or what she was, was another question.  "Greetings, ladies and gentleman, I am Brigit and I welcome you to these shores and give warning, this is the Temple of Sacred Promise, in this place, your words will have more power then they would elsewhere, for even the divine are bound by their promises here."  The woman gestured to the temple.  "Tonight, and for the next three days and nights, you are under guest rights, you may remain here for three days and nights before we ask you to make any commitments or continue on your way into Eire or to return to the other shores, though you are not in any way required to remain, nor accept our hospitality, if you feel the Fates lead you elsewhere."

The white cat paraded down the gangplank, tail held high. When Brigit appeared she paused just before stepping off of the wooden planks onto new soil. Her sudden appearance seemed not to faze the feline, and Eilessa listened to each word Brigit said with ears perked attentively forward.

In the Aether, invisible to mortal eyes, silver-gold light spun itself out of the cat, billowing up into the outline of a woman. She smiled at Brigit and gave her a jaunty wave. It was certain she could sense the true nature of the cat...but Eilessa felt it was good manners to reveal herself nonetheless. Brigit was being a good host, it was important to be a good guest!

From there she finished peeling herself out of the cat, maintaining the incarnation as a fragment of her own essence even if she was no longer wholly contained in it. This place wasn't hers; she couldn't manifest herself here outside of her avatar, but perhaps she could look around a bit. Get to know the lay of the land and its people. Or perhaps Brigit would want a word away from the prying eyes and ears of mortalkind.

The non-divine present just saw Kamela's white cat pause at the bottom of the gangplank and gaze up at Brigit for a long moment, then hop lightly down onto the ground and turn to look back at the others on the ship expectantly.

Spoiler

Using homunculous 1 and multitasking to do a little split, maintaining incarnation and spiritual self at once.

Spoiler

Pinging the Scene with Behold the Halo. 4/5 Inspiration left.

Kamala didn't have much time to respond to the looming catman before their hostess literally appeared out of thin air. There didn't seem to be anyone else around or anyone other than herself, Eilessa, and the catman getting off the ferry at this stop, so she inhaled softly and Listened, glancing around the circle.

'Champion,' came a voice in her ear only she could hear, the slightest glow lingering on said catman. Interesting, but of who if he had a who? 

'Mage,' continued the voice, highlighting a tall woman with dark hair. Perfect. Great. Fantastic. Exactly what she wanted to see.

'God. God,' it finished, a double beat highlighting Eilessa and Brigit. The Azorii refugee exhaled and let the Whispers fade, trying to keep her keep her expression neutral.

"Thank you, Lady Brigit, " she offered with a slight bow of her own, hands at her side and considering her words, "I shall strive to be a good guest. You can call me Kamala, but maybe we can continue introductions somewhere warmer and drier?"  

Edited by Exile_Jeane
Lack of Attention = Errors.

Brigit's words were not wholly unwelcome, as they were a warning of sorts, of what was to come.   "Thank you, for your hospitality."  came the rich deep voice from the largest of the travelers.  As he stepped from the gangplank onto the dock, he noted the light creak of the wood, and nodded.  "I would second that call, it has not been the shortest of trips."  Truth was, the cold didn't faze him, but it would be nice, for all of them he gathered to be in a more relaxed setting than just come off  a ferry.  Being met as they were, in front of so many was sure to cause some stir, which wasn't something Long actively sought out.

Orionthi had been watching the passengers disembark the boat and was startled by the sudden appearance of the being (she had problem with calling them gods) who called herself Brigit. She had grasped the magic around her prepared to defend herself but as the others acknowledged the woman and introduced themselves, she relaxed, but did not let go of her magic.

As the cat man, who resembled the Itriar of Elomansk except for his size, which was a good deal larger than those alien felines, and, she hoped, his appetite, which among the Itriar had been ferocious and extended to anything which was flesh not of their own, finished his speech, she too stepped forward toward both the group of oddly matched travelers and the being named Brigit.

"I am Orionthi Mageborn, of the Vorona, and I too accept your hospitality and in turn offer my services, such as they are, in fair exchange."

The avatar of Brigit, for that was what she was, then lead everyone into the temple, which proved to be two things when you folks entered, warm and with light incense, just a hint of cedar to it.  At the same time, as you all entered, a similar energy split from Brigit to the one Eilessa  had split off from herself, allowing both of the gods to interact on a different plane, even while it appeared that they continue to pay attention to this moment, indeed, from a mortal perspective, they seemed no different, and in fact, were not all that different, at least in their ability to interact and do things.

"We have a number of drinks if you wish for refreshment, as well as rooms for each of you, if you wish to retire immediately."  As Brigit lifted her hand, several lights formed into what appeared to be small fairies.  "Aura, Deirdre and Jules here can show you your rooms when your ready."

---

Meanwhile, on a another level, her spirit approached that of the traveler goddess.  "We have been expecting you cousin, you and the others, though not all have arrived yet."

Edited by Krul

Eilessa waved a hand nonchalantly.

"Yes yes, they'll be along. There's no hurry. I've never been here before! In this age anyway. Islands, am I right? And this is an island...off of an island. Sort of a double-island. Very interesting."

She looked around the temple, where the mortal stone was buttressed in the Aether by years of faith and devotion from mortal visitors until they shone like polished marble there.

"A nice place. Maybe a bit hard for parishoners to get to, but there's a method to that. If people have to climb a mountain to get to your shrine, you won't get many...but the ones you get will be faithful." Eilessa nodded at that. "I'm curious to know why you wanted us to come, but I'd hate to spoil the surprise as well."

She leaned back against the translucent, luminous wall of the aetheric shrine, then grinned.

"Okay, that's a lie. Definitely spoil me."

Long simply nodded, and since he was hungry, he smiled at the three fairies.  "While I do not presume to speak for the others, I am hungry after the trip over.  If you would, please show me where the food and drink you've prepared is, and I will avail myself of your hospitality."  He waited to see what the others would do, before allowing the fairies to show him where he'd asked to go.

"Tea, please," Kamala volunteered, removing her bow from her back and undoing the belt holding her two quivers at her waist. She knelt in one smooth motion, settling onto her knees, setting her most obvious and effective weapon to one side. She was here as a guest, and she kept her features schooled, shedding the outermost of her coats to cover the deadly implement as well as luxuriate in the warm of the temple.

The Azorii refugee really wasn't a creature of the cold and the wet.

"I didn't catch your name, Sir Cat," she ventured up at Long with one raised eyebrow, twin piercings catching the interior light before shifting back to their hostess, "Lady Brigit, I wouldn't object to being told the reason you've called us here. Not that your island isn't lovely, but Eire's reputation is... dire enough in some circles that I'd think twice about paying a visit in even the best weather."

She was digging, hoping for a clue as to Phara's reasoning.

"I am Long."  he answered, his reply wasn't really clipped, but he didn't have more to add beyond his name.  He smiled as they were led to the dining area, and he took a seat after fixing a small plate for himself as well as a drink.   

"The food smells delicious, far better than I've had to begin most quests as of late, or on them."

As if to accentuate Long's point, the moment he had food on his plate, he felt something brush against the calves of his boots. Looking down he saw the white cat that had been haunting Kamala on the boat over. She was sinuously weaving betwixt his feet, rubbing herself against his ankles. When he glanced down at her, the cat looked up to meet his eyes and mewed plaintively. It was as clear as if she'd spoken the common tongue.

"Food?"

Long looked down, and saw the cat there, and smiled.  "Fine, fine."  He fixed a small plate, with some of the chicken and fish that was being offered, and set it down out of the way so the cat could eat in peace without being stepped on, or disturbed.  It was strange, because he knew enough to know what she wanted, and could have sworn it had spoken, but normally cats, or dogs, or really any sort of animal didn't approach him normally.  A lifetime ago he'd learned to handle animals, but since his Change, they seldom approached him, and he couldn't remember the last time he'd ridden a horse, or any beast of burden.

Orionthi had followed along behind the others into the temple. She had traveled among the stars and had seen many worlds, she knew of "gods" and that the divine power they possessed was like yet unlike that of her own magic, that they required worship and sacrifice, things she was not well versed in nor willing to give. 

This entity had spoken as if they had been summoned to this place, all of these others had arrived upon the boat, while she had not. She had come here after hearing rumors of a tower appearing out of nothing, the tower she sough,t her tower. but she had found no evidence of it nor any persons who may have seen it. 

a question was arising in her mind, had she been lured here by carefully planted rumors... 

The tall alien woman chose a seat across from the cat man, she examined the food with her eye and surreptitiously waveed her hand to scan the food with her magic to make sure it was palatable. Satisfied she took a small helping of a fruit which resembled the sweet figs of her home and placed them upon the plate in front of her. Then taking a goblet of deep red wine she sipped, she addressed the catman, "These others all seem to be of the same species if of different races, yet you are different than they or I." She picked up one of the figs and bit into it, surprised, pleasntly, with the juices which squirted into her mouth. "Mmm, these are wonderful. What brings you to this place?"

Long looked to the tall woman who didn't smell like any of the others.  She was still shorter than him, but not by nearly as much as others were.  "I was both tasked with, and asked to come investigate this Tower.  While Towers that appear from nothing seemingly overnight is a rarity, The hiring of adventurers to explore new places, and investigate the unknown however is certainly not."   He smiled.   "More than that, someone recommended highly that I come here to see it myself, so I decided to come.  They've never steered me wrong before."

"A... friend gave me a similar recommendation. So I'm here, much as I'm more of a courier. Object A from Point B to Point C kind of stuff. It pays the bills," Kamala added with a smile behind her cup of tea. It really was very good, and the mere warmth of the beverage and it's smell filled her more than any amount of food. At least for now.  

She eyed Long's offering to Eilessa, hoping he knew exactly what he was getting into with the gesture. The Feline goddess had turned lives upside and sideways for lesser interactions. And... had ignored larger, come to think of it. So it was up to the whims of Her Mood, really. *She* hadn't known what she was getting into when she had taken shelter against the desert cold in the sand-scoured shrine that night, shivering, cursing, and, in her heart of hearts, hoping for another miracle. One to keep her going when her skills and her whispers weren't enough anymore. Well, she had gotten that at least.

"You know your animals," the Azorii refugee complimented Long, taking another pull on her tea and inhaling the smell.

Divine Chat

"Long ago, when the last of your priestess was dead, and you had gone to sleep, one of the remaining children of your priestess made a promise on her mother's grave.  As a result, an aether ship was built, but not an ordinary one, this one was to be continually developed and evolved every year until the year of your return.  But the child was also a a talented adventurer and she grew stronger and more capable every year, pushing hard against various demonic forces, and eventually building the adventurer's guild to what it is today.  Upon her death, her choices and the faith of those who followed her transformed her, and she become Aurora, the Dauntless one, goddess of courage and adventure, patron goddess of the adventurer's guild.

She turned to the Fae to complete the ship, and a number of the fae of Eire as well as these of Arcadia began to work on this ship,  in time, even a number of the tuatha, including myself, were requested to give aid in the building process, with certain oaths made.  It has grown into quite a large vessel, more of a worldship and an arcship then a simple Aethership, but it can not be launched until the temple at it's heart, is properly dedicated to the goddess of crossroads, the lion who roars at noon, she who embodies the allure of the unknown.  Which we both know is you, Eilessa.  The ship is large enough to possess several temples, but it also needs a captain and a command crew, you and aurora are the owner's of the ship, so your temples are the only one's required, and as Aurora is the patron of the Adventure's guild there are a number of potentials, she awaits your invitation to discuss matters, since in her view, you are the primary owner of the ship.  "

"As goddess of prophesy, I looked forward into the mists, and knew that today here and now, something new would happen, the mage who has arrived is not a native of our realm, her tower can be locked to the ship and fuse them into one, should the proper actions be taken.  Aurora sees you as the senior in this matter, and while she sent her beloved champion to assist, now that you are awake, she considers you the senior decision maker and due to her mother being one of your priestess so many millennium ago, she also sees you as an elder cousin of sorts.  There may be problems with the tower as well, I believe it has draw the attention of a number of formian demons who seek to claim and capture it for their own purposes."

Eilessa's eyes got bigger and bigger and shinier all the while as Brigit spoke. When the other goddess was done, the Goddess of the Crossroads let out a shriek of joy and caught her up in a hug, that swiftly changed into a little jiggy dance, and then culminated in Eilessa running around the room, jumping and twirling.

"They are so GOOOOD!" she yelled at the ceiling, startling a few caretaker spirits. "it's a new SAGA! It's...it's... I have to SEE it! Is it here?!"

------

Meanwhile Catlessa didn't quite emulate her other self's antics, but she looked up, wide-eyed from the smug look she was giving Long and began prowling through the temple, meowing stridently as she sniffed and quested and searched for something yet unseen...

Posted (edited)

Brigit smiled at Eilessa's reaction and gestured to the caretaker spirits to calm them down, before answering the questions that had been made "The ship is presently kept in orbit above the temple, generally cloaked, so that it is invisible to prevent any troubles regarding it, if you wish to take a look at it, however, here is an image."  She held out her hand and a holographic image of the ship appeared before the divinities, though an image also appeared on one of the wall's her cat self was investigating.

2002888853_andrian-luchian-nivelian-frigate-agni-overpaint1(2).thumb.jpg.48619857b1721ab7d0d7df1abe5ad4a8.jpg

"The guiding intelligence is not yet awake, and the ship awaits you to give it a name, but that is part of why it has not yet been engaged.  Since so much time has passed, it has grown many times, presently it is the largest starship ever built that we know of.  It's a bit over 24 kilometers long and 8 kilometers wide, it's as big as a city, with a number of self contained biospheres within as well.  It you wish to take a personal look, there are plans to do so anyway once the tower has been captured, but we can go ahead and go there now, if you wish an early look"

Edited by Krul

On 2/21/2020 at 2:21 PM, Long said:

"I was both tasked with, and asked to come investigate this Tower.  While Towers that appear from nothing seemingly overnight is a rarity, The hiring of adventurers to explore new places, and investigate the unknown however is certainly not."   He smiled.   "More than that, someone recommended highly that I come here to see it myself, so I decided to come.  They've never steered me wrong before."

On 2/21/2020 at 2:54 PM, Kamala Alhazred said:

"A... friend gave me a similar recommendation. So I'm here, much as I'm more of a courier. Object A from Point B to Point C kind of stuff. It pays the bills," Kamala added with a smile behind her cup of tea. It really was very good, and the mere warmth of the beverage and it's smell filled her more than any amount of food. At least for now.  

Orionthi pursed her lips, "So, even though you arrived in company, none of you were known to each other before...?"

1 hour ago, Krul said:

an image also appeared on one of the wall's her cat self was investigating.

"Hello, what is this," the alien witch asked at the appearance of the great ship on the wall?

Sign in to follow this