Sign in to follow this  
Krul

Shores of Eire

"I have no idea."  Long answered, as he stared at the image on the wall.  "I knew that was no ordinary cat."

"She is what she is, nothing more nothing less," Kamala commented softly, looking over the leviathan projected on the wall, privately wondering what the hells they were looking at. The serene masters, when they deigned to show off their wealth or unveil some new magitech weapon had herded her people into the great squares to witness such things, but this..?

The Azorii refugee took another pull on her tea, dark eyes following the cat avatar. Looked like today was a start of another one of those times. 

Eilessa swooped around in an elaborate bow towards the etheric form of Brigid.

"I think this is going to need a little bit more guidance than a pair of paws can provide," she chuckled. "Thank you for the kind invitation, and for helping my people with this project. I definitely owe you one."

It was a casual-sounding statement, but each of the deities could feel the underlying meaning of it clearly in the ether. A recognition of debt, a promise of repayment, was a binding thing between gods. A sort of currency in an economy for beings with no use for material goods.

Then the Goddess of the Crossroads withdrew a little to set about constructing another material vessel, an avatar that could communicate in more detail.

Meanwhile, the Divine Cat placed her paw on the image and mewed again, looking intently first at Kamala, then Long, then each of the other mortal champions. As they all drew nearer, examining the strange ship in more detail, a new voice came from behind them. The soprano voice of a young girl, speaking with a hint of slightly musical accent.

"It's pretty isn't it? Do you like it? I hope so."

On turning around they saw a brown-skinned girl in a simple shift dress of white linen that was clearly well traveled, nearly tan from dust. She had long, straight black hair and fathomless dark eyes that glinted with amusement.

"We're meant to find it."

The cat mewed again, and immediately darted across the old temple to leap into the girl's arms. She laughed and cuddled her, booping the cat's nose with her own.

Okay. That tore it. Go time. The tea was set to one side, and the Azorii refugee rose to her feet, pressing one hand to the hidden cat icon under her clothes in respect. Kamala paused for a moment as she considered Eilessa's choice of words.

"Of course, my Lady. Do you have any wisdom to offer us on this quest, our first, best step of our thousand mile journey?" she offered to the duo of girl and feline, comically serious and attentive as she invoked the first and simplest blessing she learned from the Goddess. Which said Goddess has used to direct her on everything from finding endangered smugglers to finding the good catfood.

The girl laughed.

"Do I look like a lady?" She sounded shyly pleased, and hugged the cat again. "I don't know about wisdom but...it seems to me like the next step is always the one right in front of you."

She beamed and went over to Kamala to put a hand on her shoulder.

Long watched them, and sighed.  "Where should we begin our search then?  It looks quite massive, it won't be somewhere obvious I should think."  He was intrigued by the cat and the girl, as well as Kamala's own reaction.  

His own goddess could be enigmatic at times, but she'd learned that he preferred the direct approach more than anything.   This whole evasive, talking round the issue thing that spirits and deities did at times, it annoyed him, as it seemed to be a huge waste of time.

Eilessa blinked at Long, then glanced at Kamala, then looked back at Long.

"Here," she said. "I just said... Right in front of you." She pointed at the floor, then indicated the temple with a sweep of a finger. "Here. Where your feet are."

She rolled her eyes in the manner of every bossy little girl ever, and said, "Don't you even want to hear about what it IS? The deadly dangers you have to overcome? Brigid can just TELL us where to go, that's hardly the point of this."

Long earned a glance from Kamala for his outburst. When you asked the oracle for a prophecy, you did not doubt the prophet. What they elect to give you is what they elect to give you. For you are squishy and taste good with ketch up should a god desire it. If plan A: avoid direct attention failed, all you could do was hold onto your wits and hope there was ground to land on when you jumped into the unknown.

"Please share. You always have when it's important for me know," she responded back at the tiny divinity, a bemused smile crossing her lips as some of those 'important reveals' played across her mind's eye. Sometimes too close for comfort but never anything she couldn't handle if she tried her best.  

""Deadly Danger" is the norm for undertaking such as this, is it not?  As to what it is, yes I'd like to know,  as well as why we were chosen to find it.  I know it has something to do with my Goddess, else she'd not have sent me, though she was somewhat evasive on the specifics."

He sighed.  "I don't mean to sound irritated, but the relative lack of information leaves me somewhat less in awe of things.  It's hard to comprehend the grandeur of a thing or the the nature of a task if  one does not have information on which to base such feelings."

"A Cat showing a picture on the wall isn't even the strangest thing I've seen this week."

Orionthi had been listening with one ear while studying the image on the wall, after the cat man spoke, she turned to face these people.

"I agree with you cat-man."

She looks at Kamala, "Pardon me if what I say seems rude as I do not know you nor your beliefs. Prophecy is a means of control, It is like dangling a carrot before the nose of the horse to draw it upon a dangerous trail. The one holding the carrot knows the trail is dangerous and hopes the horse does not notice. We are not horses, and this cat is not a cat, I think, and it seems to know more than you," She indicated the young appearing girl who had joined and now held the cat, "have bother to tell us."

Orionthi smiled pleasantly at them all.

At this point, Brigit spoke up.  "As goddess of the Hearth, Flames, Inspiration and Prophesy, I can say that prophesy can be used as a method of control as you say, but it's also a method of guidance when too much information would hurt those involved, and a hazy method of direction when the future is unclear due to the number of actors involved.  In this case, there are demons involved, the ship is mostly complete, but a few actions are required to allow the aethership to fly to the distant shores it is designed to.  Some of these require and depend upon direct action from those of you who are here."

Posted (edited)

The girl had a good giggle when Orionthi suggested the cat knew more than her, and she marched over to Kamala and sat down in front of her, facing away.

"Braids please."

She surveyed the others present.

"It's not me trying to control you. It's the opposite. If I knew, step by step, the best way to get to a goal, and I told you...why then, that's me controlling you. If I say here's where you are, and here's where you should go, if you want this to happen...well then it's harder for you, but the choices are all yours. How to do it, when, where...even whether or not to do it at all."

"The ship was built a long time ago, to go places no one's ever been. Those on it will see sights that are new. You'll be gateways for knowledge and stories that the world has never had before. I really want you all to be there for that, but I won't force you to do anything. I don't mind helping where I can, or giving advice or guidance, but I won't take your choices away from you, even if you think you want me to."

The girl looked back at Brigit then and smiled. "This is your house. How shall we begin?"

Edited by SalmonMax

Sign in to follow this