• Divine Right a Trinity Continuum Open World PbP
  • Something Wicked: A Teen Witch Chronical
  • Shadows of the Worlf: a Game of Personal Supernatural Horror
  • Three Leaves DnD 5E Campaign
  • Absolute Power Supers Game
  • Code of Conduct Read in Rules Above

Chapter 1: Awakening

Shameless

Micky stands with a groan and stretches, twisting from side to side, her spine making popping sounds with the movements. "Yes, you are correct," she says in answer to Sophia's rebuke. "Does any one else have anything to add?"

Her gaze travels among the pack lingering on each member.

Eric actually found himself agreeing with Sophia, though not so much as to challenge Micky over it.  He bowed his head showing his own assent.   "We'll handle things here while you go.  We've got two days until the full moon, so we can get prepared."   

The team he was being left with would work just as well if not better, having Clarity there, though it would be among the few times he'd ever seen the sisters separate.  "We'll make sure everythings' here when you get back."

Saibh shifted in her seat, fingers drumming on the table.

"Can I ask why? I admit to being uncomfortable with the idea of leaving a Theurge behind. I trust your judgement, and I trust you all at my back, but leaving Clarity behind, when she knows the rites and rituals for dealing with spirits.... it sits poorly."

She was on the verge of volunteering to stay, just so that Clarity could go along. Though that would open up it's own can of worms.

"Because I am not convinced that this is not a trick to get us away from the Caern. Taking both Theurges puts both at risk should it be a trap on the other side. I have faith in Deer-stalker and I trust that Should something befall us on the other side Clarity and Eric together can see to the safety of the Caern and the remaining pack."

She takes a deep breath and sits on the ground, "This all came to us in a dream which implies that it came to us by a spirit, we came here and we find something that should not be here and again the indications are of a spirit. But it is not a spirit we can put a name too. Whoever sent this to us knows us. Knows what we are likely to do. 

So we will do something unlikely."

"I agree with Micky's words. They make sense. It's why I spoke up earlier. If either is trap then splitting up in way that makes it so the remaining pack still has chance to fight, makes sense. It's not just about optimal one team, it's about whole pack prepared for trap in either maybe both place."

Red Tips steps besides Eric and puts an arm around his shoulder.

"I make sure they come through any troubles alive."

The words made a certain amount of sense, not doing what was most likely, to outside forces off.  When red put her arm around him he wasn't surprised, but he still wasn't as used to it.  None of the lupus had a human concept of boundaries.  Still they were pack so he didn't say anything, and smiled.  "Okay.  Micky's made her choice, and explained her reasoning.  I'll support it, because it makes a certain sense, and might provide an edge that optimizing things won't.   If anyone is going to challenge Micky's decision, I say now's the time.   We all have our roles to play."

Sophia sat back and listened to Micky give her reasoning, not that she had to, and shrugged. It still made no sense to her though. If it was a trap for those in the umbra, then it would be best to have Clarity-Seeker with them. It it were a trap for those who stayed behind, then it would be best to stack more ahrouns, or at least more rage, such as Howls-With-Wind instead of Clarity-Seeker, as any threat would be far more likely to be in the physical world as opposed to the spirit realm  She had said her piece to the alpha though, and in front of the rest of the pack, so it was done matter for her. How the decisions played out though, would be another matter.

When Red Tips spoke though, Sophia smiled and applauded eagerly, looking almost like a proud parent.

"That's awesome!" she said enthusiastically to Red Tips with a smile. "You are totally learning to talk and bullshit like a homid. The way you, just now, tried to change why you spoke up for Howls-With-Wind? That was really well done. You're learning fast." she said with a smile as she wiped a faux tear from her eye. "You've come a long way." she got out with a sniffle.

Then her face with back to normal.

"Anyways. I got some prep to do, or have done, or whatever. Maybe I can get your sister hooked up with some talens for the trip. So you two don't do anything I wouldn't do now." she joked at Red Tips standing there with her arm around Eric, with a wink, and walked over to Clarity-Seeker as she thought about the request she was going to make for a moment. 

"I have a request to make, to aid those of us going into the umbra." Sophia asked her theurge packmate, "If possible, and time permitting, and should you be so inclined, do you think you could make some talens for the trip? Like, maybe a few of those healing-gourd-thingies?" she asked, trying to recall the name. She then snapped her fingers and pointed at her packmate. "Gaia's Breath! Or, I guess Breaths, in this case. And maybe a Bane Arrow... or two.. or more... for Howls-With-Wind, just in case? I mean, I am not sure how much of a pain in the ass talens are to make preciously, so if it is asking too much, don't worry about it." she said with a small shrug. "I'm sure we can get by" she added, "...you know, with all the healers staying behind." she added with a feigned sigh, though she couldn't hold it and grinned.

"Seriously though. I'm sure you probably got other stuff to do anyways. So if you can make them, then cool. If not, don't worry about it."

Red Tips growls and but doesn't move, keeping her arm around Eric.

"You push too far. You not know reason I spoke up other than what's been said. I not change reason, just have multiple reasons. Is not bullshit as you say."

She spits the word bullshit out as if it were poison.

"Now, you gonna hold tongue or do I have to hold it for you?" 

Feeling the Ahroun's grip around him tighten, he knew Red was getting angry.   That was bad, and so he went into action himself.  "Hey now."  He looked to Red, putting a hand to the small of her back.   "You know Sophia talks alot.  More even than me.   She was abit snarky there, but that's her way.  She is concerned for the Pack as a whole and some of what she mentioned is actually a good idea, because Clarity and I are the primary healers of the group.  We don't need to be angry and at each other's throats right before undertaking a quest like this.  Let it go, please."  

He gave her a brilliant smile, and nodded.  "We can go hunt a deer tonight, if we're careful."  He knew all four lupus loved to hunt, and They'd largely placed a moratorium on hunting due to not wanting to attract attention after the last time, at his request.  Him relaxing that was a bone he'd throw to the entire pack, though he knew the other homids really weren't as interested in a natural hunt as the lupus would be.   

he looked to Sophia, and sighed.   His tone was more abit consternation.  Of course she was doing her job, but her level of snark was abit much at times, even for Eric who was unfazed by most everything.  "Sophia."  When she turned her head to at least acknowledge the pack's second in command, he nodded.  "I know what was said, but maybe abit less Snark going forward, please."  In truth he saw what Sophia had said as Sophia's backhanded Rebuke of Red, but he was trying to be conciliatory. Sophia knew damn well that tempers ran more towards the short end of things among the pack.   One day she really would dance to close and cross over that line, and She'd have to deal with it.   Still right now wasn't the time for that.  

As relaxed as she was among her packmates, the hair on the back of her neck stood up and she had had to force down a growl at the back of her throat at Sophia's Challenge-That-Was-Not-A-Challenge towards her Alpha, followed up by a mocking insult towards her fellow lupus. Ragabush or no, there were much much much bigger and smarter things than Garou out there, and if the alpha wanted to balance the two groups, it was *no one's* place to doubt her or cast Deerstalker's own, perhaps less flashy, talents into shadow.

She sucked in a breath through her nose, and forced her hands to unclench, a quick battlefield meditation  to keep the Rage at bay, aided by the offer of a hunt. 

Still, she nodded empathically at Eric's censure, firmly on Red Tip's side of this, what's the word humans had for fighting without fighting..? Oh, yes. D-bait. Tricksy, nasty things you lost if you decided to cut it short and just go for the wrestle and ear hold. 

With the teams settled, all that was left was the preparations.   Clarity, Carmilla, and Sophia spent the time creating a few useful Talens for both teams, and by day's end, The pack was ready for a break.  With the Waxing Gibbous moon, they'd be able to see well  at night for the hunt.   They once again met at the Caern, and Carmilla while invited, declined to participate in the hunt.  She did agree to perform the Rite of the Hunt for them.    Eric was there, in the umbra, laying in the soft grass that was their normal meeting spots.   Uncharacteristically, he was in his Lupus form.   His coat was mostly grey with a little black and brown, dappled with white, thanks to his family's blood.

alot went on today, so I'm going to give a chance for some fun.  You may choose to opt out of the Hunt if you want, I recognize some of you may have no interest.  This is meant to be abit of a bonding experience.  In your next posts, please reply having your characters decide if they're going to participate in the hunt and assume a form of your choosing.  The Rite will take place in the umbra and the hunt the real world.  There won't be any dice involved for changing or crossing back and forth for this part.

Red Tips pads her way to the spot where they were to meet and seeing Eric, continues her way over to him. She gives him a typical wolf greeting that's reserved for a pack mate. Her shiny black coat with red tips on her ears giving her her name, represented the peak of being a Fianna, her heritage showing through. She chuffs before she lays down near him.

Howls is not far behind Red as they both approach, her fur the opposite of her sister, mostly red with some black in certain spots. Her heritage clear. She nudges her sister in a way she only does for her twin, noses Eric a hello, then goes to sit down in the place she knows to be meeting those going into the Umbra

Deer-Stalker felt more herself in the Umbra, centered and whole and confident. It was why she had never committed any rites to memory, the faith she could jump over to the near Umbra, seek out the nearest spirit with a clue, and get the answer or aid she wanted for her pack. More legwork, but in perfect self-reflective honesty, far more fun and familiar to what she did Before. It made her happy. A little bit of a show before running down their prey, Luna's blessing before their greater Hunt to follow.

That happiness reflected in her energetic lope and wagging tail, the Lupus-form Garou closed the distance to her trio of packmates. 

In the Umbra, her fur seemed that much shinier with a blink and you'll miss it impression of Chimera, her Tribe's patron, about her. The strength of something caught between and yet stable of a beautiful regardless. Out of the corner of your eye flickers of wings and scales and horns. She was ready to live up to her moniker tonight, ears perked in attentive happiness, by the time she reached the impromptu circle and flopped in the grass. 

Saibh padded her way into the clearing, already in Lupus form. Being homid, her relationship with the form was an ongoing experience, the sharper senses appreciated but sometimes overwhelming, and the lack of opposable thumbs annoying, but like and decent get, she viewed the awkwardness as just another trial to overcome. Chuffing a greeting to the others, she settles down to wait for the remaining members of the party, the grey and white of her bulk, so similar to her dyed hair in homid, made her tribe obvious. A lineage longer than most cared to remember provided her an air or regality, even when reclining so, and the favour of her Tribes totem ever present in the chill of the air and the vague scent of an oncoming blizzard.

With more of the pack now gathered, Red Tips jumps up from where she lays and begins to dance around playfully. She begins nosing and nudging and dancing close to the others so they have to move and potentially get up. This is a joyous thing. They're going on a hunt, it's a time to be joyous and celebrate that they are doing as Garou should. It's not a time to lay around and be lazy. Her playful actions are intermittently accented by short howl barks.

Quite honestly enjoying her flop in the umbral grass under the open skies of the clearing, Red's promptings get the an annoyed lowering of the ears at first. Deerstalker rolls out of the way of the Fianna's next orbit before rising to her paws with a short chuff of her own. She wagged her tail in happiness at seeing one of her Homid packmates attending the Hunt, uncertain in her heart of hearts if any of them other than Eric would be joining them. The Stargazer settled on her haunches and let loose a proper howl, an open beacon for any others who might be tardy and on their way to the gathering.

Besides, it felt good to announce herself to the world. That was reason enough to do a thing.

96c6951e3aa1c4faae406d6f6a92e2ed--pale-blonde-blonde-wolf.jpg.05db5afb0f5e94b3e3a03af0d880fe98.jpgAriel went wolf, because there was no point hunting on two feet. She'd learned that the hard way once, a while back. Even now there was a part of her that wasn't wholly comfortable as a wolf, though she'd learned to tuck it away where it couldn't interfere with her changes anymore. The shadow of it remained though. In lupus, she was brisk and stern, observing the play of the others without joining in. Her tail wagged, showing affection, but she hoped the hunt would begin soon, proceed swiftly and end successfully so she could turn back. To that end she didn't contribute to the distractions...nor did she try to spoil anyone's fun. She simply sat nearby on her haunches watching and waiting.

Micky stopped at the edge of the clearing still in the bushes, also in lupus form like the others, her black fur shining in the waxing moonlight. Hunting deer in the Umbra was not the first thing she would have called for but after consideration she saw the usefulness especially with the issues they seemed to be having. 

She had intended to not attend the hunt but she was alpha, it was her obligation, so here she was.

She watched the playfulness of the younger and, dare she say wilder, Garou, after watching for a moment she entered the clearing and stalked over to Eric and sat on her haunches at his side.

Eric looked up at Micky, resplendent in her Black fur, and he gave the equivalent of a lupine smile.   Seeing Ariel there too, it made him happy.   Clarity and Sophia were the last of the pack to come over, along with Carmilla, the only one who was in her crinos form.    She loosed a howl meant to draw attention, which stopped the horseplay.   The sun had gone down in the world, and the moon just began to rise, nearly full.  Under Luna's light, she led the Gathered pack in the Rite of the Hunt.   It was a supplication to Luna and Gaea, not just for success in the hunt, but strengthening the bonds within the pack.  With the Rite concluded, the pack head off into the woodlands nearby.  

Gaea did indeed bless their hunt, as they found a herd of deer almost immediately.   With Howls, Red,  and Clarity to the North, Ariel, Saiph, and Sophia to the South, Micky, Deer, and Eric were on the eastern approach, downwind as it were as they others coursed the herd.   It fell to them to spring the ambush, Which they did.  As the herd of seven deer broke, two went down to the Alpha and Deerstalker, and the other groups of the pack brought down the rest.  Only Ariel and Eric didn't actually kill anything, but they'd done their parts, and would eat accordingly.   MIcky of course was the first to eat, as Alpha.   Eric was surprised that in the end All of the pack did partake of the kills, food being shared.  When it was finished and they were sated, Several memebers, including Eric began digging a hole for what was uneaten.   They couldn't leave it laying about, or it would arouse suspicions, thus he'd taken to doing this.   Once the remains, mostly bones were buried, Clarity performed a simple ritual of thanks, ensuring that there would come no ill of this hunt.   

With the Hunt concluded The pack returned to their homes.

The following two days would be similar, with those who had to tending to their human lives, and making arrangements for their absence starting the following night.  In total they'd made six bane arrows, and three charms that would help heal any wounds.  The final talen made was a Stone of the Return.  Charged with gnosis from the Caern itself, The stone would bring the umbral pack home, so long as they were touching whoever held the stone.  It was powerful, but at best could only work for five garou.  It had been Carmilla's sole focus, and when she explained, she smiled  "I have faith in my ability to keep the bridge open, but it is poor planning to not have at least some form of backup plan.  We're lucky that the rapport you all have with the Caern makes it possible, and that this Caern is so strong.   I don't think we could have made it in time at the Golden Feather."   

It was an hour before moonrise, and Eric had gone to pick up the others, so that they'd not be leaving so many vehicles in the lot.   Micky though road her bike.   Thus it was that The pack was gathered back to the Caern, The full moon soon to rise, and they would make their final preparations.   While the home--team wouldn't be doing anything out of the ordinary, They'd all come to see their packmates off.

HOwls bounces over to her sister and danced along side her, something these two had done many many times before. But this would be one of the first times the two had not hunted together, so Howls was nervous to not be with her sister for this hunt, and it did show.

Deer-Stalker looked at the sisters sidelong and smiled faintly, reflecting on similar games of mutual support played between her and her siblings. She was in her nearly-human Glabro skin, six-feet tall and sturdy, as a compromise between the need for thumbs and avoiding the potentially threatening misinterpretation of walking into the Umbra in full Crinos. No need to piss all over someone else's markings if one didn't need to, especially if they were going in for information. Her stash didn't have nearly as pieces that fit well on this shape, so she was down to what she had been told were 'gym clothes'. Humans had so many words for things. 

But that was an old gripe for another night.

She focused inward, spinning that tiny fraction Luna's essence gifted to her into a sturdy cord in her hands-that-were-not-hands, anchoring it in the Here and Now just in case something happened to both the moonbridge and the back up Talen. She backed up slightly from where she was standing, dark eyes drinking in the invisible strand as it continued to spin out from her body as she moved. Good. At least to start with long as the spirits were with them. Deer-Stalker looked around the pack and nodded her head happily at Micky, "Backed up the back up, Alpha." 

Red Tips hugs her sister as they finish up their routine.

"It not the first time we be apart for a hunt, nor it be the last. I be when you get back. And you come back."

*Red Tips nodded affirmation with her statement before proceeding to see the rest of her packmates off.*

The entire pack was assembled, and The teams were together.  To move faster the umbral team was in their lupus form, and Carmilla nodded, in her Crinos form, as were the rest of the pack who'd be guarding the Caern.  "This will be different, as we have No Caern to connect to, trusting in Luna to guide you.  I will hold the bridge open.   But keep in mind the longer you stay the harder this will get, on you to return, and me to keep the bridge open."

Eric nodded.  "If you would explain how you'll keep the path open."   

She nodded.  "Normally they cannot keep bridges open without the light of the moon.  I have charged a Moonstone, which will last for three days.  It will provide the moonlight needed to keep the bridge open for that long.  You need to be back by then, as I will lose the connection on the Fourth day.  You will have to rely on other means to come home, and be wary of the fading of the body that comes with the deep umbra.   We are beings of Flesh and spirit, and I have no idea how far you'll be going."

After Micky nodded, Carmilla turned to the Table, and Invoked the Rite of the Bridge, adapted for this purpose.  A pillar of silvery light, the color of the Moon itself stretch upwards curving to the horizon, and Carmilla grunted.   "You'd best be going, this is the longest bridge I've ever created."

Eric gave a nod to his Alpha and smiled.  "Come home safely.  We'll be waiting."  

With that Micky lead the part of the pack going with her onto the bridge.   Traveling was best done in lupus form so that's what they were all in, alert and aware despite the safety of the bridge.   While traveling on the bridges was a thousand times faster, it would still be a  long journey.  They had no idea how far the trek would be, and so they ran.  With it growing darker and darker as they went further into the Dark Umbra.  Normally a bridge connected caerns, but at the same time, this ritual wasn't that, using the wooden plaque as a signpost, Carmilla had adapted it to show the way to the one who sent the omen.

Edited by Shameless

The black wolf trotted onto the silvery bridge her mind on many things. She was never comfortable in Lupus form and probably never would be, she was Homid and this was alien. Still it was the best way to travel.

Also there was the troubles she felt growing among the pack, so diverse and headstrong her pack mates tended to be, she felt the shadow of clashes to come sweeping over her.

The thought made her growl and with a shake of her large head and a bark she increased her speed and soon the world she knew was far behind  as she raced deeper and deeper into the growing darkness of the unknown,  her pack-mates running to keep up.