Rising Phoenix Gaming

• Discord is live https://discord.gg/n3Gae5
  • Shadows of the Worlf: a Game of Personal Supernatural Horror
  • Three Leaves DnD 5E Campaign
  • Code of Conduct Read in Rules Above

STAR WARS reimaged

Nina

ANOTHER galaxy, another time.

The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that… it was the Republic.

Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic throve and grew. But as often happens when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, there appear those evil ones who have greed to match.

So it was with the Republic at its height. Like the greatest of trees, able to withstand any external attack, the Republic rotted from within though the danger was not visible from outside.

Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.

But a small number of systems rebelled at these new outrages. Declaring themselves opposed to the New Order they began the great battle to restore the Old Republic.

From the beginning they were vastly outnumbered by the systems held in thrall by the Emperor. In those first dark days it seemed certain the bright flame of resistance would be extinguished before it could cast the light of new truth across a galaxy of oppressed and beaten peoples…

From the First Saga

Journal of the Whills

This prologue was the first exposure many had to the world of Star Wars and it gave a glimpse of what was to come.

Way back in 1976 the original novelization of Star Wars premiered to little fanfare. It was six months before the movie hit theaters and did better than expected, selling out its first run of 125,000 copies. Then the movie hit.

This novel was commissioned, along with a follow on, to offset costs in case the movie didn’t get a sequel both were to be complete stories. As such Alan Dean Foster, a published science fiction writer in his own right, and the ghost writer of Star Wars did a little world building with George Lucas’s blessing. He worked from the Script of course and had conversations with Lucas, but due to time constraints and budget some things didn’t make it to the screen, even bits that were filmed but ending up on the cutting room floor.

There were differences as there are in most books which become movies, but this was different, this was a movie which had became a book. Most novelizations of the time which have their origin in a movie script, are usually scene for scene virtually identical to their big screen counterpart. Most differences are minor and accounted for by the author working from an unrevised shooting script.

That wasn’t so in this case. In Star Wars the novel there are big difference in several of the scenes, emphasis is placed in alternate areas and of course there is the fact that Lucas instructed Foster to make it stand alone as a complete story as there was truly only a small chance there would be another such movie to follow.

Everyone was surprised by what Star Wars did at the box office and to  the movies of the future. But while we all know those movies and the world that Star Wars created and encompasses now,  we also have this book, The Original Story, and its many differences. It is obvious from this book that Darth Vader is not Luke’s father, Leia is not his sister, that there are more Dark Lords of the Sith, …. Those are just the most obvious ones, differences ignored in the films or later retconned. The story is the same but different and it begs to wonder, What if?

I propose to run a Star Wars game re-imagined based upon the universe as depicted depicted in the original Novel. The game will be set in the period prior to the events of the Novel around the time that the plans to the death star were stolen (for movie reference the period surrounding Rogue One) . As game runner I reserve the right to crib from any sources both old and new (movies, books, comics) to fill out the universe. In other words nothing is canon but everything has the potential to become my canon.

In this game the clone wars were fought some 20-30 years before the start of the game, the jedi knights which were already mythical due to low numbers were virtually wiped out and have since been mostly forgotten, due to a campaign of false information and propaganda, except by the elderly , the scholarly, and those with reason to cling to the glories of the past, The Sith are  Dark Force Users who opposed the Jedi and are an even smaller group who came out of the shadows after the fall of the republic and the Jedi, Darth Vader (Darth is his name not a title) is but one of a small number of Dark Lords, albeit a terrifyingly Brutal one. The emperor is the one-time Senator Palpatine, who, as stated in the prologue above, “declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace”. He is believed to be nothing more than a corrupt politician.

The true power, visible to the galaxy, seems to lay with a large group of corrupt senators and economic powers and a power mad military.  The rebellion is in its infancy, not consolidated, and mostly a thorn in the side of local sector governors only, but a growing thorn, nonetheless.

It is this version of Star Wars, using the novel as my setting template, different, yet much the same that your characters will inhabit. The events of the Novel have not yet occurred, may never occur, and you are, as Senator Leia will say in the future…

“…in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes.”

This game will use the Star Wars RPG originally published by West End Games, specifically the 2nd Edition Revised, Expanded and Updated.  As this game is no longer being published nor in print, I will supply anyone who needs the pertinent rules and resources for CC and Play.

The game will be a bit grittier and darker than would be normal, think Rogue One for tone, or even some of the older Dark Horse comics. While it is not a dark side game it may at time seem so but that is not the direction I  intend, but of course once started it will be you the players who dictate the ultimate direction.

I am looking for 3-4 players but will, if there is adequate interest, run for one or two or even a larger group. I will post additional information as required.

Post below if you are interested and if you have any questions.

i have alread made a discord catagory and will make the club here with cc and house rules so those intrested can go ahead and start

i will post a link to pertinent material in the discord channel