• Discord is live https://discord.gg/n3Gae5
  • Divine Right a Trinity Continuum Open World PbP
  • Something Wicked: A Teen Witch Chronical
  • Shadows of the Worlf: a Game of Personal Supernatural Horror
  • Three Leaves DnD 5E Campaign
  • Absolute Power Supers Game
  • Code of Conduct Read in Rules Above

Star Trek Online

since there was a bit of a discussion on discord about STO I thought i would put this here

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online

the game is free to play and unlike most you really do not have to ever spend a dime unless you just want something fast. The entire game is available for free (even the expansions you have to pay for can be bought with zen which can be earned in game with grinding.)

If anyone wishes to give it a go you can contact me in game at 

Rose@silk121  on the federation side 

or

Kehtyr@silk121 on the Klingon side

just use the in game mail after you finish the tutorial. I can invite you to a fleet and supply you with customized gear for your captains and boffs and your ship. 

I spent 100's of hours on Champions Online (60's comics versus 90's Star Trek) which uses a similar engine for the characters and the grinding of lockboxes and costumes. I started up an STO account just to get that screenshot for a Not!Cardassian using the alien maker. While I don't plan on playing the game further, if it's anything like CO it's addictive as hell and has all the right story beats and sound effects to rope you in and keep your endorphins up.

I have an account I made ages back, but the game never really grabbed me, tbh. But I mostly play MMO's as a social thing, and only having one guy I knew who played it was a major reason I didn't put any real time in. I'm considering giving it another shot to see, though.

5 hours ago, Laughing Crow said:

I spent 100's of hours on Champions Online (60's comics versus 90's Star Trek) which uses a similar engine for the characters and the grinding of lockboxes and costumes. I started up an STO account just to get that screenshot for a Not!Cardassian using the alien maker. While I don't plan on playing the game further, if it's anything like CO it's addictive as hell and has all the right story beats and sound effects to rope you in and keep your endorphins up.

Its is incredible addicting. and while it's grindy as fuck at least the grind can be accomplished multiple ways so it breaks the repetitiveness.  As for lock boxes. if you don't have cash to burn stay away from them as they are way to gambly. don't use them to try and get that ship you really want it is better to grind the currencies and buy it onthe exchange. everything in a lockbox can be bought and sold on the exchange except for lobi which is a nother currency. if you need lobi you will need to use lock boxes but only do it when you really need to and it is possible to do lock boxes without spend ing cash just takes along grind to get the dilithum to exchange for zen and then buy keys to open the boxes..

yeah sto's economy is a bit of a circus. but again everything in the game can be gotten for free if you have patience and time to grind.

5 hours ago, Kaoleth said:

I have an account I made ages back, but the game never really grabbed me, tbh. But I mostly play MMO's as a social thing, and only having one guy I knew who played it was a major reason I didn't put any real time in. I'm considering giving it another shot to see, though.

it's an odd mmo in that it is primarily a solo game up to the point of doing tfo (raids) and even then they are so quick that there is generally no social interaction. if you want to socialize in sto you need to be in an active fleet other wise you can hang out in the social hubs and just chat in general.

now if you have friends one of the nice things about it is all of the missions well most of them are infinitely repeatable and have multiple difficulties.