Rising Phoenix Gaming

• Discord is live https://discord.gg/n3Gae5
  • Shadows of the Worlf: a Game of Personal Supernatural Horror
  • Three Leaves DnD 5E Campaign
  • Code of Conduct Read in Rules Above

All Hallows...

Nina

Oct 9th

It was the night of the full moon, a Hunter’s Moon, they call it. And it was a night for hunting, but whom was the prey.

Two of the three factions present at the cabaret, filtered out after sharing one uncomfortable drink. Lilith stopped outside and motioned for Marko and Cara to wait. Marko rolled his eyes and made to leave but Cara stopped him with a hand on his arm.

Lilith turned to Dan, “You want to go pick up your puppies or you want me to send them to you? I have things to discuss with the Angelo’s.”

"I'll go and pick them up. "   Dan said quietly.   "For what it's worth, thank you, for cooperating.  This could have certainly gone much worse."   He would probably never like Vampires, but at least today he'd met one who kept her word, for what that was worth.

Lilith watched as Dan and the girl wolf walked off heading the his truck. Something about that girl…, she took out her phone and quickly sent a text to Trini telling her to expect the werewolf coming to pickup their guests and some other things, then she turned to Marko and Cara. “let go get a drink at someplace a little more friendly”

She led them deeper into the quarter which was already filling up with tourists. Halloween was coming and while not as big a tourist attraction as Mardi Gras, it was still an eventful time in New Orleans. She led them past most of the obvious places and just as Marko’s patience was getting to the boiling point she turned into a dingy bar called the Chart Room.

It was just what it advertised a dingy bar probably built in the late 1960s and never remodeled and from the looks of the floor rarely cleaned. The bar was busy however, about three quarters full and both Marko and Cara noticed that most everyone inside was sitting and drinking alone. It was probably the quietest bar in the city.

Lilith went straight to a booth in the back and slid in on the side that would let her watch the door. Cara noticed that she was very cool, and her earlier nervousness was gone. That made Cara wonder. She and her brother were older than Lilith and thus stronger the younger ‘queen’ should have been showing some sort of trepidation especially around her brother.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Halloween 1858

The ball was a success as they always were, everyone loved the parties thrown by the royalty of New Orleans, The twins and their coterie. And this masquerade ball was smashing fully 200 hundred of the regions wealthiest and most powerful humans were present and the vampires were expecting a feast. The twins had selected about two dozen of their guests by giving them black roses to wear. At midnight the vampires would be allowed to feed on those selected, a rarified treat. They just couldn’t kill anyone.

Marko was picking his targets when he felt the presence of one of the twins behind him. It was Kristen. The original smiled at his creation, “Feed but don’t kill, that is the rule for this little game Marko, and Kirsten is very serious about this as you well know, you had best behave.”

Marko looked at Kristen then around the room until he found the other Original, Kirsten Magnuson, She was talking to the Speculator. Not allowed to kill. That was aimed directly at him, and Marko knew it. His excess had angered the sister who was in his opinion the more dangerous of the two, not that Kristen wasn’t dangerous, he just had a better sense of humor. As he watched he noticed one of the servants carrying a tray of drinks stopping by Kirsten and the Speculator. “What about the servants?”

Kristen followed Marko’s gaze and saw the girl that had caught his eye, he suppressed a laugh, “What about them?”

____________________________________________________________________________________

“I hope you don’t mind but I thought an old friend could join us,” said Lilith looking toward the entrance. Cara and Mark glanced that way and saw an older gentleman, dressed in elegant business attire, Timothy Powell. Marko tensed, the Speculator.

The door to Lilith’s compound opened as Dan pulled up and the two girls came out both turned back toward the door and waved at the figure in the shadows, the dark-skinned vampire called Trini.

The two younger girls jumped into the back of the truck and Dan put it in gear and drove off. He could feel the vampire watching him until he turned off the street.

Spoiler

The  portion in italics is a historical flashback.  Cara though not mentioned in that section was present and Max you may post in the flash back if youwish. The Speculator is Tim owell. you may also post. those who ar not there ie. the wolves may post in the flshback as npc presences.

all of you may post in the regular sections as yousee fit.

Tim you recieved a text from lilith asking youto meet at the chart room bar. she did not warn you that Markowas there.  tim and marko probably have a bad history

Tim Powell stood at the entrance of The Chart Room, a bar of slightly ill repute, as his eyes adjusted quickly to the darker atmosphere inside. Once that was done, Tim stepped more fully inside, looking around. He spotted Lilith, and nodded his greetings. He moved swiftly to the booth, his gait smooth and casual, his dress shoes clacking on the floor as he approached. After he approached close enough he noticed her two companions. He braced himself for the worst case scenario in his mind. When he noticed who she was with his eyes narrowed fractionally, which was as close to a shock reaction as Tim would allow to cross his face. When he stood at the edge of the booth, he slightly bowed at the waist, "Queen Lilith, you summoned me?" He turned to Marko and Cara, a genuine smile on his face as he greeted Cara, which became insincere as he regarded Marko. "Cara, Marko. A pleasure to see you again. It's been years." Tim then turned back to Lilith, indicating a seat opposite Marko and Cara, "May I sit?"

Damn bloodsuckers.  They'll never not make me uneasy.  His thoughts were honest.  He understood these feelings weren't wholly rooted in rational reasons, but that didn't matter.  The less he had to do with them, the better, as far as he was concerned.   He gave  Karren and Maeve a slight nod, he knew they didn't have that long.   He drove, mostly towards Crescent Territory.   "Melody, I need to know where I'm to drop you off.   You're a minor, so it's gotta be at a family member's home.  Especially tonight."   His tone was serious, and he knew they were on a timer.   

"Not to belabor a point, but we do have somewhere we need to be, and not too long to get there.   Bringing you with us isn't really an option without opening a whole different can of worms, and I'm sure after everything you're ready to just go home and not be surrounded by strangers."  His tone was a bit friendlier, and he smiled.  "So where'm I takin you?"

Edited by Shameless

Jesus Christ. What had she gotten herself and her daughter into?

That meeting had descended into chaos almost immediately, the kind that set every single one of her get out of dodge instincts flaring, the sickly-sweet rot of a risk-vs-reward con going wrong that tempted you further and further in until the ground gave way under your feet and you were in for a bad time. Add in 'bad news' Walker, and if there wasn't so much to learn about her Dad here... She'd already be making calls. Texas was a nice place to work her craft this time of year.

But that was another world. She'd just need to learn the rules in play here, how many other societies like this were hiding just out of sight as if the world was a bad YA book series, how to insure if her daughter inherited the problems and powers of Karen's... lycanthropy that she'd land on her feet surrounded by friends not foes. If there was even a chance of that last one, she'd need to stop running, put down roots, and actually do the whole parenting thing before it was too late. Sending a bank deposit every month was worse than not trying at all, she knew in her heart of hearts. She'd worked more difficult problems than connecting with a kid she saw at holidays and birthdays, right? Right?

Right. Short term problems first. She pulled out her phone pulled up her phone and confirmed that while, yes, they didn't have a lot of time to work with, it wasn't critical yet.  The brunette conwoman frowned, looking out the window at the city, "Do things usually go that well when we meet up, Dan?"  

Edited by Exile_Jeane
Needed an in-game hook.

Cara glanced up at 'The Speculator' quizzically, then at Lilith. So the girl had brought in some muscle, it seemed. There were not a lot of vampires running around in the modern day that would be a match for Cara, let alone her brother, but Powell...he might qualify. Enough to give them pause at least. She wondered how exactly Lilith had gained his loyalty...or if she, in fact, had. Was the deference he was showing an act perhaps? Or was it because Lilith had the blessings of the Originals?

She looked back at Tim, a gracious smile lighting her face. "Mr Powell," Cara greeted, with all the warmth she usually reserved for a major donor, "It has been a long time. Too long. What brings you to New Orleans?"

Halloween 1858

"Think of it as a game," Cara told her brother lightly. "Of skill. Of finesse. Any animal can gorge themselves on a kill...but to take what you need and leave them alive, even unaware...that requires a deft and expert touch."

"Kirsten...that man your sister is talking to...I can't say I've had the pleasure of meeting him before. Who is he?"

• 2 months later...

After Lilith nodded to the seat next to her, Tim sat down. "I've been here a while. Mostly work, but some pleasure as well. After all, All work and No play makes Tim a dull man." Tim flashed a charming grin that had won over many a human or vampire to his side. "And what brings you back to this side of the Bayou? Work, Pleasure, vacation, or other?" 

• 4 weeks later...

Marko glared menacingly, Cara glanced at him, but it was Lilith who spoke. "We have a situation Tim. Some idiot witch kidnapped a werewolf last night and tried to do a spell on her or with her or whatever, another werewolf killed him. And then old... friends showed up at the same time. I don't believe in coincidences.' Lilith glanced at Cara, then looked pointedly at Marko, "Why are you in New Orleans Marko?"

Marko's fierce glare faltered and for a moment his innocent mortal face rose to the surface, the face from before his embrace. "Because this is where i was told I could find a way to remove the curse. No other reason. I just want my life back."

Lilith lowered her eyes, "Well we are going to do everything we can to see about lifting that curse." She smiled and looked at Cara. Marko smiled too and looked at his sister.

Lilith moved faster than anyone thought possible. Cara, Marko and even Powel were taken by surprise. Lilith was not known to be a person who got her hands dirty by taking direct action there fore what she did was completely unexpected. In one lightning motion she had pulled a silver dagger from with in her dress lunged up onto the table and drove the magicked blade into Marko's heart! Marko gasped and clutched her wrist holding the dagger his strength already flowing away, She leaned in holding it in place while the magic did its work.

"Tim," she said through gritted teeth, "Please Compel the room! Cara, don't do anything you will regret later We need to talk without any undue influences. Your brother will be fine and you need to hear me out!"

Halloween 1858

Kristen follows Cara's gaze and frowns in disgust. "Oh that. His name is Powel but everyone refers to him as the Speculator. He is one of us but his concern is money of all things. For some unfathomable reason Kirsten is fascinated by him.

While Kristen nd Cara conversed Marko had silently moved across the room toward the servant he had spied earlier.

----------

Dan glanced across at Karen, shook his head, "No, not really. The vampires rule in the city. Even the witches toe the line usually. I don't know bout this I got a bad feeling. Where you want me to take you melody?"

The younger girl had been looking out the window and seemed oblivious Maeve had to elbow her. "Oh Just take me home, my folks are probably worried."

Dan glanced at her through the rearview mirror. "Ok then we go pick up some supplies and head to the Bayou for it gets dark."

Once Melody told him where to go, he made good time going to bring her home.  They were met by her family, who were quite happy to see her home, and Thanked Dan for bringing her back to them safely.  He left his number, should the Crescent Alpha need to get in touch with him, or if her family needed to get in contact with him.

Back in the truck, he hit a grocery store, and came back with an armload of drinks and snacks,  stuff for before the real festivities of the night.

He shrugged when the others looked at him.  "The younger members of the pack, they're still not used to what it all entails, and they'll be almost starving before the night's done, on account of them not partaking."   

"They'll get the hang of it, or not, eventually.    If things hold true, Maeve and I will have the job of locating and bringing game to the others.  Karen, would you be willing to help with that?  Are you comfortable enough with your other half that you can hunt?"   It wasn't the most polite way of asking, certainly, but Dan was always fairly blunt in matters like this, between other wolves.

"Tim," she said through gritted teeth, "Please Compel the room! Cara, don't do anything you will regret later We need to talk without any undue influences. Your brother will be fine and you need to hear me out!"

There was sound like a whisper, a rush of wind, and Cara was next to Lilith, her hand on the other vampire's wrist where it held the dagger in her brother's chest. The touch of her hand on Lilith was light, and her face was almost without expression. But someone who knew better would see that dilation of her pupils, the tension in the cords of her neck, the angle she held her other arm at, and know that she was hair away from doing something she might regret later.

"Then speak," she said in a tone that could frost a running river, "quickly, and clearly. What exactly are you doing, beyond what is plain to my eyes?"

Halloween 1858

"The Speculator? How gauche. A curious thing to exchange one's own self, one's name, in pursuit of something as...transitory as money. But I suppose I can understand how there's a kind of fascination in that. For novelty at least."

Not to mention, she thought, Kirsten did sometimes have the strangest fancies. Cara sometimes wondered if she herself, and Marko, were yet more examples of that.

Spoiler

Here we go again...

"...I haven't woken up hungry if that's what you mean. So sure," Karen replied after a pause and a shrug, adding after a pause, "...Long as we're taking steps to make sure what we're hunting walks on four legs, not two. We are, right?"

Her tone was slightly apologetic at any implied insult, but today had been a Long Day, and she wasn't quite sure if they'd gone into the details of this part of all it yet. There was just so much conflicting information out there and she had no real idea what, if any of it, was real aside from the scraps she'd picked up here since meeting Dan and his pack. A con made without information was a con that got you shot or arrest after all.

Dan nodded.  "Yeah,  it'll be deer or boar.    I usually go with deer, because we won't be the ones making the kills most likely, unless some of the deer are smart."   He shrugged.  "we stay away from the farms and such, and anything less than boar or deer isn't worth hunting with the full pack."

• 2 weeks later...

Tim stepped over to the bar very quickly, almost seeming to teleport. He called out to the bartender, "A round for everyone, and once it's poured, a toast." A cheer went up among the patrons, with various versions of thank you being uttered.  Tim pulled out small stack of bills to pay for the drinks, and when the drinks were poured, he cleared his throat, gathering the attention of the bar patrons. "And now, the toast. To the things that go bump in the night... may they never go bump for us." With his final words, he poured his supernatural charisma into his words, forming an image in his head of their memories being clouded, and any unusual sounds or images fading from their knowledge. All of the mortals, even the bartender, froze for a few seconds at the power passed through their minds. Most finished their drinks on reflex and blinked their eyes as if waking from a dream. The bartender rubbed at his eyes, and looked down at the stack of cash on the bar. Tim spoke up, "You'll find that should be enough to cover everyone's tab for tonight with a decent tip, but don't let anyone know until the end of the night. Just remember me fondly, if you think of me at all."  He winked at the bartender, and made his way back to the table with Cara and Lilith.

"Done and done. Now would you care to explain this?" he said, pointing to the dagger. 

---------

Tim finally noticed the attention he seemed to have drawn, and looked over at Cara, a small smile on his face. He circuitously made his way over to the pair talking about him, and bowed his head as he approached. "I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting your companion for the evening, Lady Kristen." He turned towards Cara, "I'm Tim Powell. A pleasure to meet you, ma'am."

On 1/29/2023 at 3:14 PM, SalmonMax said:

"Then speak," she said in a tone that could frost a running river, "quickly, and clearly. What exactly are you doing, beyond what is plain to my eyes?"

Lilith heard the cold threat in Cara's low voice, and weighed her words carefully. Her eyes darted toward The Speculator and saw that he was still busy with the crowd.

"I am trying to free you," Lilith said her own voice lowered so only Cara's ear could hear. "Your brother is under the spell of a very powerful witch one whose curse can force his actions against his will, one who may be able to hear what he hears, see what he sees. He. Is. A. Liability. 

He has also been lying to you for your entire existence. Kill me and you will never know the truth, never be free." 

She let go of the daggers handle and moved her hand away as much as Cara's grip allowed.

************************************

Dan drove the boat slowly through the bayou looking for the spot his cousin and pack leader had specified for the full moon, his two passengers , Maeve and Karen watched along silently. All three were lost in their own thoughts.

The swamp was alive with insects and birds, snakes and gators, and other swamp life. The passages between spots of land was overhung with the branches of Cyprus and Tupelo trees and hanging moss that made it a dark twilight even though there was at least three hours left of good sunlight.

By the time they arrived there were a few other boats already there and member's of the pack had already unload and were setting up for the festivities. Dan noticed that his cousin Cade's airboat was here already as well.

Maeve jumped out with the rope to tie the boat off as Dan drove the bow into the bank of the bayou gently, with a practiced ease.  Once secured,  They quickly worked out a chain, getting the food and drink ashore without any issue.   Dan led the way to the gathering of kin and pack.  With his Cousin Cade as the Alpha, things ran fairly smoothely.   He was a powerful shifter in his own right,  but he had support of the oldest families,  not to mention Dan himself.   By association, Maeve was a member of Cade's faction, though she was more there as a protege of sorts of Dan.   Some looked openly at Karen, not recognizing her.   It was unheard of for Dan to bring anyone here, aside family,  so someone who was a complete unknown got tongues wagging quickly.

Dan quickly made for where the tables had been set up for food and drink, depositing the ice chest full of drinks for those who wanted them, knowing that the alcohol would be watched over keenly by some of the older women, to keep the youngsters present honest.   The snacks and such he  had them bring over to a table where an older woman, easily in her seventies, was effectively directing the other three women there.   "Aunt Margaret,  I brought some snacks for those who want something abit lighter."

The white-haired woman looked up at him, a twinkle in her hazel eyes.   "I guess you didn't have time to cook before coming this time did you, Daniel?"  She was clearly teasing him.  "I was looking forward to some Fresh Alligator."    Dan shrugged his shoulders.  "Pack matters kept me abit too busy for that one.   Next time, or maybe one Sunday I can fix it for the family."   Dan was a decent cook, but by no means equal to the woman he spoke to.  She had helped teach him alot about cooking when they were younger, and for her to praise his cooking at all made him happy, and a little regretful that he hadn't been able to bring the dish she wanted.

"That'd be nice."   She smiled at him, and then looked at Maeve and Karen.   "Now Maeve I recognize, but who's this that you brought with you?"

He nodded. "This is Karen Gaunt.   She's new here, and got wrapped up in everything going on by chance.   It isn't safe for her by herself in the city, so I brought her with us here, where I know she'll be safe."   

Aunt Margaret's eyes narrowed at Karen's name,  but she said nothing untoward, or to indicate that the name held meaning, Instead she opted for a little light teasing.   "It's nice to meet you Karen, You're going to be popular tonight, just so you know.   Daniel Never brings anyone with him, aside Maeve."   She leaned in a little closer.  "You couldn't ask for a better character reference than that in this pack."

"Thank you for the heads up, Ma'am. So I've been learning," Karen offered with a smile and an aside glance at said character reference, "It's been a few months since my first aller... I suppose it's silly to call them 'allergies' for once, isn't it? My first change, I mean. And this is the first time I've encountered another werewolf far as I know, let alone a pack of them. Been working out the rules from books and movies and eliminating what's obviously untrue one reveal at a time."

She chuckled and looked away. Taking in the scene, her thoughts whirled. When she entered a con, she preferred to have her goal and her exit laid out in clear steps before she took a first move, but here and now? She had no idea how deep this particular rabbit hole went. And part of her thrilled at that. Her father, however, he had managed the trick, had managed to handle an entire city full of werewolves and vampires for a time and escape to not die in the doing. In her profession? That was as good as a victory. No reason she couldn't replicate the feat if she was smart and swift and careful.

"So, what's rules for tonight? Don't want to make a bad first impression. We only get one of those." 

Dan shrugged as they left Aunt Margaret and walked through the venue.  "Be nice, smile, and get along, but don't let anyone just walk over you."   He chuckled.  "Not that anyone is stupid enough to try that.   I think the worst you're going to have to deal with is probably questions about what our relationship is.  Tongues are definitely already wagging on that."   He bowed his head slightly. "Sorry bout that.   I didn't really think about how it might look,  so that's on me."

"Once the Alpha calls us, we all go to strip and  change.  Those who are kin, but not in touch with the Wolf, they remain, and tend our clothes and belongings until we return in the morning.   As Wolves, we'll hunt, mostly for deer or wild hogs, both are plentiful here.   Maeve and I tend to course whatever we find, and bring them to the pack.    The Alpha will make the first kill, and then the pack joins in.   Anything that breaks from the herd is ours to deal with."

"Some eat their fill now, but all are expected to eat at least something from the Hunt.  In the Hunt, we wolves are one."

• Nina locked this topic