Rising Phoenix Gaming

• Discord is live https://discord.gg/n3Gae5
  • Shadows of the Worlf: a Game of Personal Supernatural Horror
  • Three Leaves DnD 5E Campaign
  • Code of Conduct Read in Rules Above

Chapter 1: First Meetings

Shameless

Spoiler

Well, now that we can kill these wolves with straight 3 successes on a roll...

Exile_Jeane Request: [6d10] Roll: [9, 9, 8, 7, 7, 6] Five Successes, aparently enough to drop two wolves.

The shock of their sudden charge having broken the focus of their monstrous opponents, Tikki pulled back on the reigns of her steed to add more force to her follow up swing with the halberd. The result on one wolf's head was like the time she had dropped a melon during a leap over an alley six years ago: a shattering of white shell and splattering of red pulp everywhere. It took her a moment to realize that her horse's hooves had come down on a second wolf, the weight of steed and rider crushing a second predator to stillness with an aborted howl.

She'd sneak the equine a second bucket of oats tonight. Assuming there was a tonight. But for now... "For Whitewall and the Road!" she shouted, sporting a pleased grin as she readied herself to defend against any retaliation. 

As the beast put its attention back on the stranger Ami lept to the attack. She swung the blade two handed again in wide scything arcs as she ran in across it's hind quarters!

Spoiler

Withering attack nina_blain Request: [10d10t7] Roll: [10, 10, 8, 8, 8, 4, 4, 3, 3, 1] Result: 5 +2 from double 10's. 7 successes from my roll.

In a matter of moments, the pack of wolves had been culled significantly, still there was more work to be done, as the wolves pressed their attack another villager going down, not dead, but his leg was bleeding badly.   The villagers attacked, and from the village proper came the sounds of more wolves, but Tikki could see arrows come flying at those wolves, another group was already pursuing them.

Across town, The Wolf Howled in pain and rage, its eyes glowing bright red as Ami's slash found purchase in its flank.  It's rage didn't save it from the stranger's attack, her silver sword cutting a slash over it's left hind leg, but it's attention wasn't turned.  It Leapt at Ami and her golden sword, first charging at her hitting her fully in her chest with it's head knocking her into the air, before bringing both it's massive clawed paws down on her shoulders.  The pain was immense as her left shoulder dislocated in the impact and then her head hit the ground hard.  As darkness encroached her vision, she could see the beast's jaws opening, fangs dripping blood as it moved to finish her.

Just as it all went black, there was a flash, a tiny pinprick of light, and a voice, soft, almost tender.  
"Awaken, my daughter.   It is not your fate to fall here."
The light began to shine brighter, just as the sun did as it first rose in the morning after the darkness of Night.   
"Awaken, and Rise, MY Chosen."   The voice was stronger, and a warmth seemed to bathe Ami, even wherever this was.   It was then she knew instinctively.  The Unconquered Sun had called her, had Chosen her.   Her fate was in her hands, to answer the call or not.

Spoiler

6 more wolves down   should only have 4 or so left.

Ami, This is your awakening as a Solar Exalted.   You will possess your full essence pool, and all charms you begin with.   Because when they first Exalt, New solars are veritable dynamos of power, I will allow you to finish this fight cinematically, using your newfound abilities and charms.   Be descriptive, have fun with it.

Ami's eyes snapped open, the hell hounds slathering jaws were inches from ripping her face off! She threw up her arms to grasp the beasts throat, that otherworldly voice still echoing in her head, she could see as plain as if it were morning, and the sun were rising on a new dawn even though it was still night and darkness surrounded them.

She held the snapping jaws and pulled her legs up setting her feet against the beast’s torso and with a surge of strength straightened her legs sending the monstrous wolf flying away twisting through the air. 

The wolf landed on its back, more than ten full yards away, much further than any human should have been able to throw a beast of that size. It surged back onto its feet and with a blood chilling howl charged back toward Amisera, who was still prone.

When the wolf had knocked Ami down, she had lost her grip on the sword. Now she reached for it but it was not close at hand. The wolf arrowed toward her, she looked aside her eye searching for the golden sword, there far beyond her reach. She looked back at the beast It had covered half the distance and lept into the air jaws open coming for her.

Amisera reached for the sword and suddenly it was in her hand and rising to her feet she rushed to meet the wolf from hell and bound into the air to meet it!

The two forms met in the air both screaming raging war cries of Heaven and Hell. All that heard, mortal and wolf alike, froze and turned their gaze.

Amisera landed upright, her knees absorbing the shock, the sword dripping blood in her hand, she turned to face the wolf which had landed two dozen feet away. That beast staggered and turned. Blood pouring like rain from its torso and belly. It took one more step then it toppled in two directions. It had been cut in twain, cleanly, length wise. The Hound from Hell was dead.

Spoiler

liberties have been taken

Spoiler

Rolling to down a wolf...

Exile_Jeane Request: [6d10] Roll: [9, 9, 6, 4, 4, 3]

Hmmm, one success short of a kill. Whop whop.

Do the job in front of you while it's in front of you. Nothing more; nothing less.

It was a fairly simple ethos to keep a messenger's nose clean and a job on schedule, wrangle fatal curiosity into something useful out of a pack of street urchins suddenly given the means to freely traverse the streets and skyline of Whitewall. 

The lesson didn't quite hold as Tikki sensed something very new and very familiar, the warm pulse of a power she knew deep in her bones could both break and restore Creation. She'd only felt that pulse coming from inside her own flesh and bones in the few weeks since her transformation. It was close, just the other side of the besieged town. The implications of that shook her, throwing off her strike at the wolf to her left. Another like her? Here? Now? What were the odds?

Working together, the guards and the villagers made quick work of the remaining wolves, an arrow came zipping in to hit the wolf Tikki had missed right between the eyes, and the wolves that had come from the city fell under arrows and attacks from the group of men chasing them.   One of them spoke to them.  "I am Haddir, one of the Headmen of this village.  You have my thanks, travelers, for coming to aid us.   Please allow us to tend our wounded, first, and then we will show our gratitude properly."   He looked to Tikki, who the others seemed to defer to.  "I recognize the badge of those with you, if you would send to your Caravan master welcoming him, and all of you into our village for the night, you may all come here.  Our means are not much, but at least you can set up camp here and not in the wilds for tonight."  Those where were standing quickly moved to aid those who had fallen, prioritizing the living over the dead.

"My daughter and another traveler fight a hellhound on the other side of the village, though I've ceased seeing the blaze of its flames, and there was a bright flash, then quiet."

On the other side of the village, the traveler had seen the entire thing, and in her heart, she felt a pull she never had before.   She moved forward, sheathing her sword and stowing her shield on her back, leaving her hands empty.  "You are a Solar Exalted, a Dawn Caste, Chosen by the Unconquered Sun."   Her eyes were wide for a moment as she seemed to be appraising her.  She nodded.   "That was masterfully done.  Simply breathtaking. I never expected to actually see the moment of awakening and exaltation of a Solar, but now I have."

She seemed to start, and then smiled.  "I'm sorry, you're likely confused.  First, let me start by giving you my name, since we have fought together.   I am Shirayuki, the Pale Huntress."  It wasn't a title Ami recognized, and her name was somewhat strange as well.

Amisera looked down at the sword, at the glow which surrounded her. She felt...different. Stronger, confident more sure of her conviction, not that anything had changed just that somehow that voice had filled her with the Purpose she had needed.

She turned to face the bowwoman, "I am Amisera, I bear no title. Yet." She smiled and gazed at the Hell Hound. Ami stepped to it body and poked it with the sword. "This things coming here was not coincidence was it?"

A green flare launched from the other side of the village and the patter of hoofbeats was the only heads up the victorious duo had of the arrival of the village's third exalt, Tikki having ordered her small squad to start the tasking of meeting the caravan on its way into the village. She had a far more pivotal and secretive goal at hand. Clearing the ridge with her polearm stowed on her back, the blonde messenger sucked in a breath at seeing Ami's blazing anima. It sang at her, like the echo of evensong, like a warm breeze in spring promising respite from the ice. She remembered seeing that same glow dancing about her own reflection in rivers or ice before recognizing the mental touch that'd keep it bay, the cover on a lantern.

This girl, no, woman, was like her. Or alike enough that Tikki didn't know the difference yet.

"Be not afraid," she began with the traditional messenger's prelude, sitting high on her steed with a smile dancing on her lips and in her green eyes, "I think the gods are having a laugh at our expense bringing me here on the eve of your victory over the beast, much as I suspect we are rarer than it."

And with that, she ignited her own caste mark, a circle of perfect gold blazing on her brow just below her golden hair, "Oh. Forgive my rudeness. I am Tikki T'Zam of Whitewall. What are your names?"

Shirayuki shook her head.   "I don't honestly know.   Some days ago A much larger pack was spotted near Whitewall, with at least a dozen hellhounds.    They were attacking any who ventured outside the city, and a company of troops were sent to destroy them.   This was accomplished, mostly, with this pack and another escaping the battle.   I took it upon myself to track one of them, as the other headed to the north.  I arrived when I did, and fought alongside you."

When Tikki arrived, Yuki looked abit shocked.   "Truly the Fates are at work."

She regained her composure quickly and smiled. "I am Shirayuki, the Pale Huntress.  Well met, Tikki 'T'Zam.  I see you also are a Solar Exalted.   To think I would meet a pair of you in the same night."   Now that there was no battle, they could see the faint yet intricate glimmer of Yuki's moonsilver tattoos.   "Unlike the two of you, I am one of Luna's Chosen."

Ami, still gripping the sword, could not help but stare. Two Exalted, Solar and Lunar, beings from legend, here, and now she too. It was undeniable.

"Yes, Fate, I... only tonight..." she let that thought trail off. She lifted the sword looked at the blade still with the beasts blood staining its length. She crouched and cleaned the weapon on the beast fur.

"This village is not on a direct road and this valley is somewhat remote. These wolves, coming as you say from the great city, could only have come this way on purpose." 

Ami stands and looks back toward the village those who are hurt or worse. "I can think of no reason that things such as this would come here. I do not wish to think that this is my fault."

Yuki shook her head.  "Gods no.  The wolves are beasts, even the hellhound is only slightly smarter.   They came because you have livestock, which make easy prey, and after days of running, they are an easy meal.  As to a fault, or blame,  The Fates do what they'll do.   It was the  Fates that made it so that when this pack came here, so far off the well traveled roads, that I happened to be in pursuit and arrived to help you, that Tikki arrived to help the others, and that You awakened to your true calling to finish off these beasts and protect your town."

She reached out and placed a hand on Ami's shoulder.  "You are not to blame."

Ami again looked at the sword in her hand. The sword that had remained hidden until today. She nodded her thanks, "Come we should see what we can do in the village. And i need to find something to cover this."

Spoiler

Athletics to dismount with a touch of free Athletic's Excellency because free. 🙂

[14d10] Roll: [10, 10, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 6, 5, 4, 1, 1, 1, 1]  5 Successes. That'll do. 

Solar Exalted. That was certainly a word. She didn't think she was one of the Dragon-blooded, as rare as the presence of those great Lords and Ladies as clients had been.  

"Well, it'll be chilly, but happy to be of service, Miss..?" the blonde exalt offered with a smile and a reflexive touch of divine grace to make the dismount appear effortless as she dismounted, shifting her gear around to free up her traveler's cloak for the young woman's use as an improvised sheath. It looked like a fine weapon and certainly needed protecting.

"Ami," offered the newer exalt, taking said garment.

"Lady Shirayuki, I'll confess to being just a fortnight more experienced at all this," Tikki explained, gesturing at the burning circle on her brow, "Brought to the brink of death by the hungry dead when my previous caravan was ambushed by their number. One of the gods above seemingly agreed that the dead waging war on the living when they outnumber us already was wrong. But that's a story for trade in exchange for some answers once we've met my caravan master and made sure Ami's people are taken care of."

She laughed inside to herself, already seeing the miasma of whispers once the people drew connections between the mark on her brow and Ami's own aura.

Standing there in her shimmering silver armor, Yuki chuckled at Ami's need to cover her weapon.   "I too would like a mantle or something to cover my armor.  No need to advertise any further."   

She turned to Tikki, and nodded.   "I believe things are in hand, so while we seek proper coverings, You should return to your caravan master.   I can imagine that you won't be continuing on tonight, so perhaps we three can sit together, and discuss what the future holds for all of us. "

When she looked back towards Ami an older woman, Ami's Grandmother, appeared.   "The future holds much I think.   Come, you will rest in my home."  She looked at Tikki.  "Find the one called Gird, have him bring you and your caravan master to me once you and your group are settled.  I know there is work to do still, recovering and removing the dead.  I will have food and drink ready for you when you arrive."

She motioned for Ami and Yuki to follow, ad Yuki smiled.  "See you soon, Tikki."

• 2 weeks later...

Things progressed quickly, as Tikki returned to the Caravan.  Given the attack,  the Caravanmaster agreed to stay in the village square for the evening, Homes were made open to those of the caravan, none would have sleep beneath the stars that night.   Food and drink were offered freely, shared out of happiness to  have survived.  Few knew the truth, of the real danger they'd faced, or how three Celestial Exalted had come together and saved them.   The dead were rounded up, the creatures burned, and the men prepared for funeral rites the next day.

After all the festivities had concluded,  The three exalted sat with Ami's Grandmother, in her home.   Ami had been given a leather covering for her sword, and found it was completely pristine, free of any stain or blood.   A mantle had been found for Shirayuki, to cover her armor.  They were served tea, and some fresh bread and abit of soup.   It was fare Ami was used to, with the nostalgic taste that only her grandmother's cooking had.   

"Come, sit, and we shall talk together and I will give you what advice I can, and reveal to you, the Vision I have been given.

Looking leaner and less intimidating without her armor and cold weather gear, Tikki sat to the left, mulling over the confrontation she'd had with the Caravan Master after passing through the village with her caste mark burning on the brow. The whispers and quiet reverence of the others she had expected after the experience of her first caravan's post-transformation, but the Caravan Master? That had been an entirely different jar of pickled fish. 

"What do you mean you knew?"

"It's my Guild's business to know, Miss T'Zam. Your... Status makes you useful but dangerous should the Empire catch wind of it."

"What do you know about that? I just learned tonight that I'm a 'Solar', whatever and however that's different from the Dragonblooded who pass through Whitewall like a storm."

"Just that they hunt you with a passion and that Bull of the North is one."

"*THE* Bull of the North. Warlord who scares other warlords. That Bull of the North?"

"Yes. Precisely. Know that I will do all in my power to keep your secret a secret."

She returned to the present, nibbling on a piece of bread dipped in the soup, green eyes intent on the conversation and the company, particularly the silvery-tattooed archer who seemed to know so much more about herself then she did. Throw in mentions of a vision, and Tikki was very intrigued by the prospect of divine insight she hadn't had the courage to chase after arriving at her last city.

Ami sat, the sword, her sword, laying across her lap, the blade incased in leather. She knew the sword needed covering but for some reason this plain leather seemed.... unfit for the purpose.

As food was passed around and consumed she pondered all that had happened       taking no part in the conversation unless dierectly spoken to and then only to give terse one or two word responses. 

Finally she looked up at her grandmother. "You knew." It was a statement not a question and everyone fell silent, glancing from Grandmother to grand daughter. "For how long? And what of these visions?"

"That you had a different destiny awaiting you?  Yes.  That I definitely knew. But that was all I knew, until I heard the howl."   

She let out a sigh.  "Understand Amil visions aren't always clear, there are often many possible meanings.   The Greater Deities cannot interfere so blatantly as to be clear in what they want us to do.   Sometimes a vision is like trying to peer through a keyhole at a masterpiece on the other side of the room.  We can only see and understand so much."

She looked to Shirayuki, who nodded.  "It is just as you say.  My own mentor, who was very accomplished, could still not always achieve perfect understanding. "

"As to what I have seen, Ami.  You will accompany these two with the Caravan when they leave.  You'll journey to the Great City of whitewall.   I have seen a sword and sickle, crossed over each other, with the Sun above it.  That motif repeats, so i know it is important.  I believe you will find the next steps on your journey by seeking that out."

Ami shifted the sword on her lap and looked at the two strangers who suddenly felt like kin. "Then there is nothing to be gained by arguing with destiny. Let us take stock of our blessings and give thanks.

This village and my Family are all I have ever known, if I am to leave I must say my farewells tonight. Thank you grandmother, for all you taught me and for the love you gave me and instilled in me." She stood, "I must make a round and see to those who are injured and give comfort and thanks to the families of those who fell. I need to say goodbye. I will return when I am done to spend time with my family."

With that Ami slung the sword across her back and made her way out into the village.

Once Ami left, Tikki released a chuckle. As prophecies went, it was an interesting one, and on general principle, the swordmaiden reminded the blonde messenger of her fledgling runners back at Whitewall. She'd had words with runners who indulged in some of the guild's crueler 'fly or die' practices once she'd earned the pull to oppose them, and Road as her witness, she'd do her best to help Ami adapt. Whitewall could be... Alot. 

"Your grandaughter is in some of the best hands possible, Ma'am. If there's a part of Whitewall I don't know about, it's a part not worth knowing," Tikki reassured the elder with her best 'I'm here to help' grin before shifting her gaze to their 'lunar' comrade, "And what of you? What is your story?"

For Ami, Saying goodbye felt right.   Her time here was good, but now that she had awakened as a Solar Exalted, her being here would only bring trouble upon the village and people within it.   She Had to leave, to keep them all safe.   A lifetime of memories was shared as the night went on, children slept, but the adults didn't.   As she made her rounds to each house, expressing thanks and condolences, sharing good memories, and a farewell with all of them.   In the end, she found herself not with her Father and Mother, they had already said goodbye.   It was her Brother Gird that she found herself with last, and he embraced her warmly, wordlessly at first.  "You will always have a home here, Ami."   She could feel the pride in his voice, and the certainty.  "None will speak to outsiders of what happened, but in your travels, should you need somewhere to lay your head,  Home is open to you, always."

He released her, having said most of what he needed to say.   "Be mindful as you travel, little sister, and one day, I'd like to hear tales of your journeys."

Shirayuki and Tikki sat there with Ami's grandmother.  "What I remember of my childhood is being taken in by my Mentor and taught about the way the world once was."   She shrugged.  "It was nice, in its way, because I'm not particularly good with people.  Surrounded by a library of books, and you'll find I'm quite happy.   I have traveled most of the common places in the North, and many of the uncommon."  

She sighed.  "I cannot divulge everything,  just as I don't expect either of you to do so.   We only just met, after all."  

She offered a smile, almost as beautiful as a clear night's sky, and nodded.  "But I definitely feel the pull of Fate in our meetings.   What we do from now going forward will hopefully be full of new things, and wonders of the past."

Her smile remained.  "That is my goal, my task, as set before me by mentor.   To travel for ten years time, and come back to weave a tale of all I've seen and experienced."

Ami's grandmother chuckled.  "A ten year adventure to thrill the heart and mind of one who has seen far too much, that does sound like a wonderful quest, though certainly a dangerous one in many ways."

Shirayuki nodded.  "Still, to Learn the greatest of True Magic, I think it is a worthy payment."

"And you Tikki, you are a messenger, I'm sure you've traveled across the North as well.   Will your guild forsake you, now that you are as you are?"

"I've left the city of my birth once and half times in my life in full honesty, Lady Shirayuki, the caravan we're joining on it's way to return there," confessed Tikki with a smile, "I know the streets and roofs and alleys of Whitewall like the back of my hand, an inch wide but a mile deep to put in perspective to your own wider travels."

She paused there, looking past the lunar and the old seer and thought, really thought about her life without the Runner's Network, her extended found family rejecting her out of all-too-understandable fear of the Realm's Dynasts. She leaned back against the wall of the hut and grunted, forcing herself to not dwell on the very real possibility.

"We're told time and again that the Runner's Network is above all politics. We don't take sides. We don't carry weapons on the job. We take only that which is agreed before hand in payment. To do anything else would make us the assassins and thieves the more paranoid nobles and enforcers accuse us of being," she began again with another small chuckle, "Much as I confess these... gifts would make for a really really good thief and assassin. It would be... Their loss if the Runners rejected me just for being as I am now if I keep to the rules of the Network and the High Road. I'll cross that plank when and if it comes to that. That's all. What else can I do?" 

• 2 weeks later...

Shirayuki shook her head.  "Very little.   The only thing I can say is to only use the charms given to you by your Patron when absolutely necessary, if you wish to remain hidden, and certainly not around any imperials.  We will likely stand out, but I have a feeling we won't meet too many Imperials on the way.  The local garrison is very depleted, and Bull of the North has been on the move.  They have much bigger problems to deal with than us."

She looked at her.  "You're truly unarmed normally?"   She chuckled softly  "I can't imagine being fully unarmed anywhere in the North.   I've never felt that safe."

They talked into the wee hours of the morning, getting only several hours of rest before dawn, and after Breakfast, the Caravan moved on, with two additional passengers/guards.

(gonna end this chapter here.   You may add 1 dot to any ability on your sheet, raising that ability up to 4.)