• Shadows of the Worlf: a Game of Personal Supernatural Horror
  • Three Leaves DnD 5E Campaign
  • Absolute Power Supers Game
  • Code of Conduct Read in Rules Above

Open Club  ·  6 members

Spacehounds

SPACEHOUNDS Chapter 1

Nina

"No idea, no matter how improbable, gets discounted out of hand.  That had been a rule he'd followed after being beyond known space.  'IS that any crazier than what we already know?  Hell some force could have orchestrated the event itself to bring us here.   It is abit too much coincidence that we found this vessel, within our means to reach it, in a region of space we've never studied before.   I believe in coincidence,  but only so much."

The Math was long and advanced, but he didn't feel like justifying it beyond that.   "Okay, so they knew our ship, and what we'd need to survive.   That also probably means there's other supplies, food being a primary concern.   Or perhaps some means of making them.   Why stop only at breathable atmosphere?"

"This ship is like nothing we know, and while what know is a frame of reference to keep, let's try to keep open minds about it."

That said he quickly sent a transmission to the Polaris, checking in as it were.

"I am being almost willing to believe your theory, Rachel," Yseult said, a quaver in her voice, her dark eyes still wide on the holo image of the Gravimetric Inducer, and the anomaly, and the revelation it portended. "Except, there is being a thing that is suggesting that perhaps... perhaps, we are meaning to be here."

Yseult nodded at the component she had invented, even if credit had gone to another. "This is being a depiction of the first generation of the Gravimetric Inducer. I was having an issue in making it functional. Until another engineer in passing suggested it could be a flow resistance issue. It was, yet, there is no possibility, the engineer, he can be seeing this from what I am working on at the time."

She turned to face Ayato and Rachel, her hands balling in frustration. "I am being familiar with the faces and names of all the engineers in the R&D department at Coriolis. Yet, I am not knowing his name, try as I can to recall. Cannot remember ever seeing the man before that one time, or since."

Yseult waved a hand around the room. "There ones are making this? I am not seeing why they are not being capable of disguising themselves among us and providing a hint that is ultimately instrumental is us arriving here. But for what purpose?"

Karen wasn't sure what theory she liked better: time-traveling post humans or time-traveling super aliens. Either was so far above the scales of what she was used to as to make 'A Wizard Did It' seem petty, downright Act of God level even.

The armored former marine shook her head, frowning as the notion everyone she had ever known and loved could very well be long dead and fossilized if not consumed by the aging sun snaked it's way through her thoughts. This could be bad, so so so bad it made her want to hit her punching bag and keep hitting it until all her muscles were sore and she passed out from sheer exhaustion. The sheer lack of knowledge isolating them from what might be and what actually was... It scared the blonde, and she doubled down on the stubborn to avoid thinking about it. Partially.

"Riiight," she drawled flatly, voice under iron-hard control, "Let's find some of these hypothetical supplies or some more clues. Or at least a map. That'd be nice."  

• 2 weeks later...

"Or," Rachel said, "pushing buttons at random is a bad idea?"

She frowned at the hologram of the Polaris, then added, "Can we get a copy of our Polaris schematics uploaded over here? I want to compare our version to theirs. Maybe we can start decoding their language by assuming their notes are similar to ours. Use that common ground like a rosetta stone kinda thing."

Without waiting on the captain, Rachel opened up her comm and started trying to interface with the Polaris' computer to do just that.

While Rachel used her personal comm to access the Polaris schematics, Yseult looked at the crystals in the panel and wondered how to enlarge the image floating in the air when a thought occurred.

She stepped around the console and reached up and with her hand made a grasping gestured at he upper and lower opposite corners and pulled like she was enlarging the image. The image responded accordingly, and the once tiny unreadable letters revealed themselves.

Yseult looked at the writing and frowned, she could read the letters and numbers perfectly and they told her which iteration of the design plans these were and the date of publication almost three years ago when the Polaris was initially planned. Then her brow furrowed.

“Why is this in French,” she asked?

Her voice had been low, but it caused both Rachel and Ayato to look up at the larger schematic to see what she was talking about. “Well shit,” muttered Rachel. And Ayato shook his head, “I’m seeing English.” He looks questioningly to Rachel, “Yep, English here too.”

Meanwhile Karen had exited the room to reconnoiter the other room nearby in the corridor, the first four she entered were the same as the one the rest of the team was still in, containing consoles on pedestals with crystals in multi-color.  But the fifth was different.

Spoiler

Jeane I will send you what karen sees in a pm

Okay. This room was impressive. A big, big spherical bridge or control room straight out of the more fanciful shows. A dozen floating platforms with actual chairs, view screens, and human scale controls to accompany a matching set of goliath scale controls like seen outside. Going back to the floating though... There seemed no particular importance or markings to the plaforms though, except for the center one, massive and studded with a dozen more control stations. A holographic map of space floated in front of the primary chair that screamed 'Command Chair' to the former Marine. 

She whistled and the sound echoed in the massive chamber, something a clicking in her brain.

A quick bit of mental math equated the sphere with the ominous green eye sticking out of the front of the, maybe, alien ship, prompting another whistle. Now she was certain this space screamed 'Bridge'. One, two, three... twenty-five stations worth of personnel..? That gave her at least an idea what to expect from this ship's full watch set up based on the Squids she'd spoken to. Part of her wanted to launch at the nearest platform to see what made it tick, but no. She'd hold her curiosity. "Fifth door on the left from where you are, guys. Found a chair that'd fit even Ayato's prerogative," Karen joked over the comms, whistling again to hear it echo.

Anyone who had trouble with energy production wouldn't have invested in a space this large. Made it clear how small they really were in this situation. Laugh or cry, didn't make a difference in the face of power like this. 

"So it's got our air, our ship's plans, and knows our language preferences.  Okay, I'll say it, I think we specifically were meant to find this ship, at this time and place."   Ayato replied with a deadpan expression."  He was still looking for a manifest of some sort, but with little luck.

'"Why are you talking about my Perogative Karen?  Is there something I need to come and see for myself?"

"You could say that. Found the bridge. Or at least a room trying so hard to be the bridge it would be sad if that wasn't the case," Karen offered bluntly over the coms, "Human scale control panels to match the giant robot buttons atop a dozen floating platform. These people, whoever and whyever they picked us did not lack for presentation. We're looking at up to 25 watchstanders in here, so there's going to be a lot of bunks and one hell of a galley somewhere on this thing. Assuming they ate. Or slept. anything's possible at this point."

On a whim, she raised her voice and called into the echoing sphere, testing a theory if this thing was really programmed for them, "Computer? Red lighting, please."

As Karen spoke and before the sentences had left her lips the inner sphere divided into four different shades of red lighting. Shades she recognized as various alert lighting used through out the various services and ships or environments she had served in over the years.

As Yseult continued interacting with the holographic interface, she tried not to let her attention wonder down the tangent on just how the Polaris crew was able to perceive the diagrams and files in their own native languages. Direct pulses to the brain or through the ocular nerves? Had they been knocked out and were in some sort of simulation? Were they in a simulation since they'd been knocked unconscious? If she couldn't distinguish the difference between reality and such an all-encompassing simulation, dwelling on it would lead to madness and ever rising doubt. There would be a time for such conjectures, but not now.

Moving her hands in precise gestures, Yseult found she was able to flip and scroll to other files, schematics, diagrams. Old iterations of devices and components she was familiar with, up to the newest models. Other classes of spacecraft, other stardrive designs - designs that were still just theoretical or entirely fictional. Yseult frowned deeply, dark brows furrowing, as she continued to scroll through the files, the interface growing ever more responsive and intuitive.

The data the structure seemed to possess of human endeavour and achievement was not limited to mere technology and scientific progress. There was fiction, literature of all sorts, music - Dvorak's New World Symphony began to sound throughout the chamber in flawless audio - cinema, visual media. Flip, flip, flip... Yseult's breathing grew rapid, almost gasping in awe and wonder, as she began testing the limits of what the alien database seemed to contain.

A new series of holographic images sprang to life. One was a facsimile of Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man, followed by other faintly luminescent manuscripts, written in reverse cursive. Another seven were written in seemed some version of Greek. Yseult quickly scrolled through appendices and references, and pulled up a recorded famous speech by Jean-Claude Gauthier, a Canadian Prime Minister from the 2040s.

She turned, almost staggered, catching herself on a console, and stared at Ayato and Rachel in sheer wonder and disbelief, barely having heard Karen under trying to comprehend just what she was witnessing.

"Ayato... this place, it... it is having so, so much more than just the schematics for the Polaris and all of its systems." She pointed at the manuscripts drawn and painted with photons. "Those, they are being lost manuscripts of Leonardo Da Vinci and seven by Archimedes. It will be taking a hundred lifetimes, a thousand, more, to be certain, but I am... I am thinking, this database, it is a repository of all human achievement, all of human history up to this point."

She pressed her fingers to temples, moving them in small circles as she shook her head. "That is being... at an estimate, hundreds of zettabytes of information. Anything that has ever been recorded in some manner, perhaps anything that has ever been said, it may be available to us."

Ayato nodded, and began to query the computer, not so much for actual knowledge, but to understand the limitations of it.   

His first question was for the date of the first manned lunar landing, which it gave back perfectly.     The second  was more tenuous, as he asked about the infamous Roswell Incident, what really happened.   The answer was something he expected, so it wasn't proof.  His third question however was the most telling.  He asked for his current cashew pork recipe.  He'd never written it down, and had modified the original  some time ago for the preferences of his crew.   There it didn't have an answer, and he smiled.  

"Well, it was a simple test and not the most extensive, but I do believe this only contains anything that was recorded.  Interestingly it does have both redacted and nonredacted files, so there's that."  

He leaned against the console  "That's still absolutely incredible, Think of all the ancient knowledge, questions we can ask and have answers to."    He shook his head.  "It's also incredibly dangerous."  

He pondered that, even as he turned his attentions to Karen.  "You say you're on the bridge?"   He looked to Yesult, and Rachel.  "I'm going to go check it out, see if perhaps we can find a map of the ship, and see about bringing it online."  

He made his way out following Karen's instruction, finally arriving to see the lights all red.  "What did you do to get the red alert lighting?"

"Cap'n," Karen offered with a nod of her head, "I asked. Computer, blue lighting, please."

As before, the lights snapped to varying shades of soothing blue even before she finished talked, prompting a slightly bitter laugh and wave of her hand, "Behold. Further proof whoever or whatever was behind this intentionally wanted us. If you want to try to get over to that Captain's chair, I'll hook you up to reel you in just in case the whole system isn't perfect after who knows how long it's been resting out here. Best chance of finding if this ship can get us home or if there's still a home for us to get back to. In fact, now that you're here, might want to trying asking some questions."

The blonde sounded resigned, bare face tired in juxtaposition to her gently-whirring power armor.

Ayato nodded, and moved near the Captain's Chair, or at least what Karen indicated she thought it was.  "Computer, lower Captain's chair to deck"  when that did nothing he stepped off the platform and surprisingly floated up right to the the Captain's station.  "That is really gonna take some getting used to."   He sighed, and gave several commands.  "Computer, display ship map.   Also Display our current position in relation to the Sol system."   It was a shot, but if it knew their history, it should know where they were from, relative to where they were.   It was far he felt, but It would be good to know for sure.

Rachel kept her distance at first, watching and listening. A certain unease was creeping over her. Ayato's revelations didn't ease that feeling.

A huge ship, laden with all this information from Earth, sitting outside the galaxy? Had it cast out that black hole like a hook on a line and reeled them in? Why now? Why us?

What else was in that database?

She went to one of the other stations, noting the seemingly English controls, and started exploring the database much as Yseult and Ayato had.

"If you want to see what the fuss is all about in there, feel free," she said lightly. "I've gotta see this for myself."

While the two women lost themselves in the wealth data overload streaming at them, the captain found that the chair responded to him adjusting to fit him as ergonomically as possible and then a 3-D holographic model of the ship appeared before him.

Karen watch her skipper from the entrance platform when suddenly in front of her a bright silver sphere the size of a softball appeared. It hovered  about six inches in front of her face and then a silver line extended out from the sphere and curved around Karne's head and went out the still open door where it turned right and was lost to her view. As the chief had turned her head to watch the line the sphere followed her turn staying in front of her face the line adjusting by sliding across the surface.

Karen faced her whole body toward the door and took a step in that direction the sphere maintaining it position and distance moved with her.  She took another step and passed through the door and the sphere kept the distance but it all so became translucent. she could see through it and see the silver line stretching away down the corridor. 

Karen glanced back at Ayato for a second and shrugged with a slight whir of her armored shoulders. Why not?

"Following up a lead, Cap'n. See if you can find out when we are while you're at it, please," she called over her shoulder before striding off down the corridor. She fiddled with her coms, bringing up the channel to the ship.

"Karen to Polaris. We've been exposed to an atmosphere that's chemically identical to Earth normal over here, but if Carrie can start analyzing my vitals while we work with the... Well, shit. There's a lot over here, but it'd be a nice start to quarantine. Over."

She continued down the corridor, eyes following the silver line as she listened for the faint crackle that presaged a reply coming back, smiling faintly as the medic in question answered, "...Received, Chief. I'll do what I can, but what the heck is going on over there?"

The former marine started an abridged recounting of the events so far, trailing off as she turned a corner, "And then he... Holy Crap."

"What?"

Karen didn't quite have words, eyes drinking in the suit bay in front of her. large armored suits. not mech size but large enough that a human can easily fit in the torso with her arms and legs filling about two thirds of the length of the suits arms and legs and her head just below where the things neck would be if it had a neck. Well, they'd found their giants. Those meaty fingers could easily crush her skull and need the ridiculous-sized buttons they'd seen scattered around the ship. Whether or not humans were supposed to go inside them or not..? She'd have to take a closer look. Her lips compressed bloodlessly spotting the silver line leading through this bay of 18 walking tanks and into a second one filled with 50 more suits of a more human scale and proportion.

The worry in Carrie's voice broke her out of her swirling trance, "Chief? What's going on?"

"...Sorry. I'll get you some footage soon as I can. Our hosts are pandering to my professional and personal interests," she finally replied, following the silver line into the second bay and up to a specific suit in it's support shelf on the wall. The fact it started moving soon as she was in two meters, settling into a crouch and opening up, almost didn't surprise her given how hand in glove this whole scenario was shaping up. Almost. But not quite.

"Holy Crap."

Rachel and Ysuelt started comparing findings or rather just calling them out as each found something new thatthrilled her, when suddenly the Captains voice came over a loud speaker and not their suit radios.

"Ysuelt, Rachel, I have found something I want you to investigate it may be their engineering space." As he spoke a holo gram filled the room they were in showing another spherical space with decks lining the wals and in the center of the space a sigle globe held in place by multiple emerald beams of energy. Neither scientist couls se what was in the globe but compared to its surounding it was not a large globe maybe the size of a football*.

Spoiler

soccer ball

"Follow that silver beam it iwll lead you to where this is."

Each woman now noticed a thin silver beam coming out of the hologram and going throughthe door where it turned and went out of sight down the corridor.

Karen watched as the armors innards seemed to rearrange themselves and her own suit began to respond with new uplinks and diagnostics suddenly appearing on her HUD.

"Karen? Whats going on?" Carrie's voice came over her coms an anxious quaver to it. "I'm getting new signals some i don't know what they are  but others are obviously medical diagnostics but where are these coming from?"

Rachel glanced over at the hologram and stared for a moment at it. After hesitating just a second she shut off the database she'd been perusing and started following the silver line.

"I have a feeling that what we find in there is going to answer a lot of our questions," she remarks to Yseult as she passes the engineer by.

"Coming?

"Wait one," Karen replied, pausing in her once over of the strange suit as it shifted to fit her proportions in a way she wondered if it even needed a contact suit to function. She unmagnetized her helmet from it's resting place on her waist, clicking it into place over her head. There was the familiar absolute darkness as air pressurized and systems whirred up and blinked on. Once the digital reproduction of the outside world was splayed across her HUD along with some disturbingly detailed new streaming information from... Somewhere.

Right. The former marine keyed up the stream of visual information from her helmet to the ship, giving the bay full of suits a once over for Carrie's sake.

"Whole lot of serious toys including some big boys. Ship led me right here without prompting and opened up the one in front of me like an invitation," she continued, circling the suit in question with a critical eye, tapping it occasionally to try and get a guess at whatever super science materials it was made off, chuckling grimly, "If the people in charge of this situation wanted us dead, we'd be dead so many times over it wouldn't be funny. Not that I think they will. Long story short: AIs, aliens, or future humans, they've went to a lot of effort to get the Polaris here, including individualized perks. Willing to bet they have something for you and Barry, too.  Picking up anything interesting? Any problems out there?"

Lure of a shiny suit before her that there was, she couldn't quite bury her concern for their little bubble of humanity out here. Once that was settled... Then maybe she'd take it up on it's invitation. 

On 5/22/2020 at 12:35 AM, Rachel Eisley said:

"Coming?

"Mais... oui," Yseult said, prying her eyes reluctantly from the incredible, impossible database. She blinked, just now noticing the newest holographic display and the luminous silver line issuing from it, then shook her head, replaying what the captain had asked of them. She pursed her lips, then closed the files she had been perusing. She nodded at Rachel. "Yes, of course, I am coming, me."

Yseult fell into step with Rachel as they followed the animated argent line. Still deeply disturbed and disconcerted with the situation, there was growing hope that there was a possibility that they could return home, that she would see her husband and children again.

"This thing, it is answering some questions, I am thinking, but perhaps not answering as many new questions we will be having."

Ayato frowned when all it gave him was the ship map, but reasoned that perhaps it was due to the sensory array being offline.    "Link to my com-pad and display location of ship's galley, and food storage."   When a section of the ship lit up, he smiled.  "Alright, guide me there."

He returned to the deck, and a glowing orb appeared to lead him to where he'd requested.   It might seem banal, but the fact remained that they were nearly out of food. Even with rationing, it was gone, and if they were to survive they'd need food and water of some sort at least.  Ayato shrugged as he followed the orb, hoping that there'd be enough to make a go of it.  

"Anything they've got has GOT to be better than MRE's and the usual stuff corporate gives us."  he muttered softly as he walked.

Ayato stopped at the open door and stared.

He had followed the silver line out of the bridge/control center, it had led him to the left away from where the rest of the crew were and back toward the elevator and then past it. He noted in passing that when he stepped on the surface that rose it didn’t light up this time like it had before, regardless of how long he stood on it which he tested for about a minute. It never changed at all. After making sure the line to the top was still secure, he continued following the guiding light.

The room he stood before was white, pure almost blindingly white, so white that he literally could not determine the size or shape of the room. Directly in front of him inside the room was a sphere that had been slashed diagonally with the flat part facing him he could see that there were keys like on a keyboard, but mad of the same crystalline substance they had found in the first room they had come to. The silver guideline ran to the sphere.

He took a tentative step into the room and his foot found a solid floor and now with the contrast of his boot he could see it. The whiteness was a bit un-nerving. “Can you change the colors to show the room better for me,” he asked out loud remembering Karen changing the lights by asking. Nothing happened.

Steeling himself he continued to the sphere.

It was a keyboard laid out like a standard earth terminal although there were no symbols letters or any other kind of labels. After a few seconds of studying the board he reached out and touched the key in the corresponding position of the standard escape key.

A menu appeared in holographic form floating a couple of inches above the keyboard.

HARDWARE

ORGANICS

DIAGNOSTICS

----

“These readings are so detailed this is more like what you would get from a top-line diagnostic bed in a major hospital, not a flight suit.” Carrie’s voice betrayed her amazement,” there are things showing up that are so specialized I have no idea what they are. Karen , you haven’t entered that new suit, have you?”

----

Yseult looked at Rachel and saw the same amazement and excitement that was on her face reflected on the other woman’s. They had found what for them was the heart of this vessel. They had found the engineering section.

It was a vast three-tiered chamber vaguely oval shaped not spherical as they had first thought from the hologram. Many of the machines were unknown but some were recognizable and bore resemblance to parts used on the Polaris and other earth ships but of different design and much greater size

And there in the center of the chamber held in place by the emerald beams was the small globe. Walkways extended from the middle tier out to the globe. The women found a ramp from the upper tier where they had entered and went down to the middle and approached one of the walkways.

Spoiler

Tell me in a PM what your characters are doing before posting so I can give each of you relevant information.

On 5/27/2020 at 12:01 PM, Spacehound Director said:

“These readings are so detailed this is more like what you would get from a top-line diagnostic bed in a major hospital, not a flight suit.” Carrie’s voice betrayed her amazement,” there are things showing up that are so specialized I have no idea what they are. Karen , you haven’t entered that new suit, have you?”

"Noooope," Karen answered with a smile on her lips and in her voice, "Still in my Mk II with my helmet seal in place. What it's sensing it's sensing through the best commercial power armor our esteemed employer provided me. Not that that probably matters a lot given the scale of tech we're looking at. Too smart by half to not be spooky."

She chuckled. If Carrie had enough time to marvel at the borrowed telemetry from presumably the new suit, things had to be at least stable on the ship. No time like the present to indulge their host's generosity. "I'm to do something stupid. If I don't come back online in three minutes, call the others to fish me out of this thing. I'm straight down the corridor from the bridge and six doors down on the left."

The former marine didn't give their new medic a chance to protest, turning off the channel and removing her helmet with a pop of depressurizing air. She didn't have her usual recharging harness, but she'd gotten out of suits in the field before. They were bottom heavy just for that contingency after all. Disengage shoulder locks and arm servos. Let the sudden deadweight in her arms help shuck her out of the chest piece as it swung downward and the back peeled away. Which just left her the inherently-undignified part of wriggling her hips up and out of the joint-locked lower-half.

"Ahhhh," she exhaled, stretching out the usual kinks, down to just her padded contact suit. Karen smirked and considered the piece of unknown hardware kneeling in front of her, chestplate agape like the tentacles of a sea anemone. All right. Show me what you got.   

"God it's like the TARDIS."

As he looked at the menu, he nodded, starting with diagnostics.   It quickly told him that both the Hardware systems and Organics systems were functioning optimally, and he smiled.  

"So far so good."

Looking at Organics next, he let out a low whistle.  It was an exhaustive list of human cuisine, recipies from every country, from every culture, both ready-made meals, and then a section that seemed to be for people like him, the "Do it yourself" crowd.  It could make nearly any sort of food, with any ingredients he wished.  

"Oh man, this is nuts."

Hardware was an endless treasure trove of utensils, both to eat with, and to prepare food.  There were whole kitchen setups, Anything a chef could want or need, this system could do.   

He started it with something simple, a Microwave, countertop chopsticks and a cup of instant ramen and bottle of water.   A silver sphere emerged from the floor, and literally became the microwave and chopsticks before his eyes, and another merged containing the ramen and the water.   "So hardware the sphere becomes, and brings it to you for the organics.   That's incredibly useful."   He was already looking forward to this, but he had to come up with a power solution first.

There was nowhere to plug it in, but it came on just fine, when he tried it on a whim.   He prepared his meal, and smiled, putting it in the microwave and turning it on.  A minute and a half later, he had his first cup of instant ramen in nearly a week, and it tasted Exactly as it had when he'd bought it from the store.   "Hell yes."  he said with a happy grin.   This would work just fine.  Afterwards, he noticed a Withdrawl button on the microwave, and once he tapped it, the microwave became a sphere again and withdrew into the floor.   "Okay, that's incredibly useful."

"Well at least we're not going to go hungry, or thirsty."    Ayato nodded, and then opened a channel to the others on the ship.  "I've got some great news.   No more rations.   We get to have real food and drink again.   I'll be taking orders later so be thinking what you want."

Maybe it was abit frivolous, but after the stress, the strangeness, a good meal that didn't taste of cardboard or foil will be something EVERYONE could enjoy.

• Like 1

"There's not even...warning labels or shielding around that thing," Rachel breathed on seeing the globe hanging there. "What the hell is it, do you think?"

She turned to one of the crystalline flat panels and passed her fingers over it, hoping to activate it the way they had the database.

"Does it feel like anything's missing to you?" she asked Yseult. "I mean, there's all this evidence this ship has some kind of deep connection to Earth, and may even have been placed deliberately in our path...or, more likely...was related to what brought us out here...but there's no tutorial. No guide. No explanation. Just a ship full of mysteries for us to pluck our way through. It's weird that they have our exact suit measurements and language needs met, but no tech support ready to answer questions."

Rachel shook her head to herself as the panel awoke, and she started bringing up information. "Lets see what we can learn about what makes this thing tick, shall we?"

• Nina locked this topic