• Divine Right a Trinity Continuum Open World PbP
  • Something Wicked: A Teen Witch Chronical
  • Shadows of the Worlf: a Game of Personal Supernatural Horror
  • Three Leaves DnD 5E Campaign
  • Absolute Power Supers Game
  • Code of Conduct Read in Rules Above

SCION: CHAOSIUM! "Awakening"

Nina

Stacy reached out and touched Ali's arm, she looked at him as what the Latina woman, Juno, said as well as the others. If what Juno were suggesting were true, then how did Ali and her fit in? The reservations came from a dead man, and everything had pointed at a setup. But now that she was here her theory began to show cracks.

“I don't recognize anyone here either,” Stacy spoke up loud enough to draw the two tables attention, “and that is much stranger than any of you not recognizing anyone. You see I have been a 'guest' here several times over the last few years, the last time only five months ago. And there is no one here that I recall ever seeing before, including the concierge, who used to be a tall slender white man in his fifties, who has been with this resort for over twenty years.

This concierge I have never seen before, and before you tell me about high turnover in the service industry, yes that is true, but places of this caliber and because of where it is located and where the staff generally comes from, doesn't have a high turnover. The Snowfield Resort isn't a job, it is a career.”

Before anyone could react to Stacy's statement their food order arrived. As the waiters and waitresses set their selections on the table before them, they all noted a disturbance in the adjoining lobby as the first refugees from the town arrived.

One thing Tenchi, the Japaneses-American male twin, had said was true; there was nothing they could do until those who instigated this mystery showed themselves.

The food came in courses of course, five star Michelin dining, cooked to perfection. Many of those dining, such as Juno, Kamar and Kamala, even Try, had never had food of this caliber, or abundance. There was wine that cost hundreds of dollars a bottle and no one who drank ever had an empty glass. All through the meal there was a hustle and bustle as more and more townspeople were ferried in and set up in rooms.

The meal proved a serious distraction and all that those gathered at the center tables could manage was intimate and amazed small talk. As desert was being served Try pushed back from the table and patted his stomach, he glanced around he had noticed the the strange smell and sensation that had been with him since coming down to dinner, no longer disturbed him it was still there but it had become like background noise, sensed but not paid attention to.

Try looked around, not at his companions or his neighbors but to everyone else. The other diners had gone, the townspeople were being led to a large ballroom that was set up to accommodate large numbers, then he saw someone he recognized, Walter Cobb, the diminutive mechanic from town, talking to the concierge. They appeared to be in a deep discussion and Cobb was shaking his head when he glanced toward the open dining room and spied Try. He held up a finger to the concierge and turned to face Try and came towards him in the dining room.

“Tryfon Burton, kind of fancy for the like of you, no?” Cobb gave Ali a brief glance, but his gazed lingered for a few uncomfortable seconds on Stacy as he appraised her like he was shopping for a new car. Then he came back to Try, “As you can see,” his voice carried making him heard by all nearby, “ there is a blizzard, and the hotel has kindly succored us all but there is a problem. Seems one of the furnaces is almost out of fuel, while the hotel has plenty in a storage tank, the pump to transfer the fuel is broke. I know this because the concierge has informed me as I am the only person in this godforsaken town who has a replacement.” He smile up broadly at Try. “Only half the hotel can be heated on one furnace and it will burn that fuel even quicker. I would go and get the replacement but, I can't, It is connected to my furnace at the dealership and it is outside. I, as much as I hate to admit it, would never be able to disconnect it in this weather, as you can see I suffer a few limitations. However I think you could do it my boy. If you would be willing?”

While the dwarf was speaking to Tryfon, the concierge approached the main table and addressed Tenchi and Reiko. “Pardon the intrusion, Mr. Shirahara, Miss Shirahara, I hate to bring my problems to others but I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

Corporate has place the township under my responsibility and so far all was going well. We have managed to bring everyone who wanted to come up, to the resort. But one of our sno-cats is late returning on its last trip, and I can't reach it on the radio. It was tasked with picking up some supplies and making a last sweep for any stragglers. To say I am worried is an understatement.

There is also a problem with the heating. We have a solution for that but it requires a trip back down to town and I am afraid none of my cat operators are willing to make the drive in the storm. Not at night. We could wait until morning, but I am afraid for my crew still in town and it will end up getting somewhat cold here if we don't fix the heating problem, plus if we don't go now the cats my be buried by morning. I understand you are retired but I am aware of your military service and that of your security aid, I was hoping I could count on you for help?”

Tenchi nodded.   "Speaking for myself, of course I will help.   He looked over to Raiko and Juno.   He didn't have to think about it, he was going to say yes.   Tenchi believed in helping others, but as a civilian, he wouldn't, couldn't order others to brave danger.   "I know the danger, but not going will lead to problems for many others."   To be honest, with allthe strangeness, he wanted Juno to remain there, should Raiko need her, but it would be better for her to come with him.  He expected her to say no to this, as his bodyguard, but still, he would at least have his own thoughts known.

What he was curious about was how they knew about Juno's history.  His own wasn't hard to find out about, but given how recent an addition Juno was, that was very curious.

9 hours ago, SCION STORYTELLER said:

Stacy reached out and touched Ali's arm, she looked at him as what the Latina woman, Juno, said as well as the others. If what Juno were suggesting were true, then how did Ali and her fit in? The reservations came from a dead man, and everything had pointed at a setup. But now that she was here her theory began to show cracks.

“I don't recognize anyone here either,” Stacy spoke up loud enough to draw the two tables attention, “and that is much stranger than any of you not recognizing anyone. You see I have been a 'guest' here several times over the last few years, the last time only five months ago. And there is no one here that I recall ever seeing before, including the concierge, who used to be a tall slender white man in his fifties, who has been with this resort for over twenty years.

This concierge I have never seen before, and before you tell me about high turnover in the service industry, yes that is true, but places of this caliber and because of where it is located and where the staff generally comes from, doesn't have a high turnover. The Snowfield Resort isn't a job, it is a career.”

Before anyone could react to Stacy's statement their food order arrived. As the waiters and waitresses set their selections on the table before them, they all noted a disturbance in the adjoining lobby as the first refugees from the town arrived.

One thing Tenchi, the Japaneses-American male twin, had said was true; there was nothing they could do until those who instigated this mystery showed themselves.

The food came in courses of course, five star Michelin dining, cooked to perfection. Many of those dining, such as Juno, Kamar and Kamala, even Try, had never had food of this caliber, or abundance. There was wine that cost hundreds of dollars a bottle and no one who drank ever had an empty glass. All through the meal there was a hustle and bustle as more and more townspeople were ferried in and set up in rooms.

The meal proved a serious distraction and all that those gathered at the center tables could manage was intimate and amazed small talk. As desert was being served Try pushed back from the table and patted his stomach, he glanced around he had noticed the the strange smell and sensation that had been with him since coming down to dinner, no longer disturbed him it was still there but it had become like background noise, sensed but not paid attention to.

Try looked around, not at his companions or his neighbors but to everyone else. The other diners had gone, the townspeople were being led to a large ballroom that was set up to accommodate large numbers, then he saw someone he recognized, Walter Cobb, the diminutive mechanic from town, talking to the concierge. They appeared to be in a deep discussion and Cobb was shaking his head when he glanced toward the open dining room and spied Try. He held up a finger to the concierge and turned to face Try and came towards him in the dining room.

“Tryfon Burton, kind of fancy for the like of you, no?” Cobb gave Ali a brief glance, but his gazed lingered for a few uncomfortable seconds on Stacy as he appraised her like he was shopping for a new car. Then he came back to Try, “As you can see,” his voice carried making him heard by all nearby, “ there is a blizzard, and the hotel has kindly succored us all but there is a problem. Seems one of the furnaces is almost out of fuel, while the hotel has plenty in a storage tank, the pump to transfer the fuel is broke. I know this because the concierge has informed me as I am the only person in this godforsaken town who has a replacement.” He smile up broadly at Try. “Only half the hotel can be heated on one furnace and it will burn that fuel even quicker. I would go and get the replacement but, I can't, It is connected to my furnace at the dealership and it is outside. I, as much as I hate to admit it, would never be able to disconnect it in this weather, as you can see I suffer a few limitations. However I think you could do it my boy. If you would be willing?”

While the dwarf was speaking to Tryfon, the concierge approached the main table and addressed Tenchi and Reiko. “Pardon the intrusion, Mr. Shirahara, Miss Shirahara, I hate to bring my problems to others but I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

Corporate has place the township under my responsibility and so far all was going well. We have managed to bring everyone who wanted to come up, to the resort. But one of our sno-cats is late returning on its last trip, and I can't reach it on the radio. It was tasked with picking up some supplies and making a last sweep for any stragglers. To say I am worried is an understatement.

There is also a problem with the heating. We have a solution for that but it requires a trip back down to town and I am afraid none of my cat operators are willing to make the drive in the storm. Not at night. We could wait until morning, but I am afraid for my crew still in town and it will end up getting somewhat cold here if we don't fix the heating problem, plus if we don't go now the cats my be buried by morning. I understand you are retired but I am aware of your military service and that of your security aid, I was hoping I could count on you for help?”

Try looked over at the concierge after the question by Walter. He shrugged. He turned back to Walter, "What tools will I need? Should I see if I can get them from maintenance or would it be easier to use the tools down at the shop. I'll need a key for tonight's job, if that's the case." He turns to Tenchi, "If you're going, we may need to rush. I don't think the storm is going to get lighter. Only worse. " He turned to the concierge, "Are there any ways to contact the other cat, or the resort once we head back down the mountain? I'd think that there would be two-way radios in the cats at least. Also, i guess we can try to contact the other cat on the way down and back up."

He shruged again, making a mental list of which tools he might need. "We'll need winter survival suits, like the ones your rescue staff probably use. I don't want to get lost down there in just basic winter clothes."

The concierge gives Try a new appraisal, maybe he isn't just good looks afterall. “As I was informing Mr Shirahara, we have been unable to raise them on our radio and cell service is down. Our base radio is working so either theirs is out, they aren't in the cat, or less likely the storm is causing interference.”

He turns back to Tenchi and Juno, “I'm giving you our long range cat, its the biggest we have it can seat eighteen plus two crew, there were three staff in the missing cat and we don't know if they have any other townspeople with them. In a pinch you can crowd at least twice that many if not more. I'm having its fuel topped off just in case. With your background you should have no problems operating it, it is similar to vehicles you both used in the army.”

Tench narrowed his eyes as the concierge again displayed knowledge he shouldn't have. “How is it you know so much about us?”

The concierge looks surprised at the question, “You are a guest here, “ he swings his arm around indicating everyone at the two table, “the resort does a thorough background check on all guests so we can accommodate their needs as well as to assure our corporate security. Aside from Ms. Prentis, and the three you rescued on your flight up, all of you have been checked out as a matter of course.”

“You didn't know I was coming,” Stacy said as she stood to join Try, dragging Ali out of his chair doing so. “my reservation was simply for guest.”

“True Ms. McQueen, but once registered your past visits were tagged and as I said we do background checks on all guests.

Now if you will excuse me I will see about some cold weather gear as Mr Burton has suggested.”

With that the concierge departs leaving the two groups close together for the first time. Stacy squeezes Ali's arm, then addresses the Shirahara group, “I don't think we should separate our groups. If she,” Stacy points at Juno, "is right and we are being set up, and I know Ali and I are, I just don't know by who anymore or why now. This is all very weird and possibly dangerous.”

Valentine nodded to herself, her eyes far away for a moment. "If the team out there ran into trouble or have an injured person, you might need people with medical skills," she said, gesturing to herself, Kamala, and Karam. "I'm not sure on the whole 'being set up' thing, but something weird is certainly going on and sticking together seems like a good idea. I'm all for it."

Kamala couldn't quite help herself, snickering to herself at Stacy's statement. Fuller than she'd been in a long time on richer food than she'd eaten at anything less than a half-forgotten cousin's wedding and fortified by actual honest-to-God Arabic coffee, she'd had a little time to think and focus. And as much as she'd like to curl on a decadent mattress under a blanket that didn't stink of filthy water and dust... Very much like to, in fact... They weren't wrong.

"Agreed," she chimed in, pausing to savor the smell of the dregs of her coffee for reassurance, "I'm not sure if it helps, but the flashes? Only happen when I look at most of us around this table, the bartender, or our host. And compared to the clashing headache I get from us, the last two? The bartender smells of cherry blossoms; the host of old books. If this was drugs or poison, it should be effecting everyone I look at the same. Weird isn't the word for it at this point, so, splitting up? Very much a bad idea."

She didn't think that there was active malevolence involved at this point in the fantastic story, but the survivor in her wasn't quite willing to rule it out even as she turned to Karam with an apologetic smile and caught him up on the conversation with a quick recap in Arabic.    

Juno was a little taken aback by the sudden and growing consensus that everyone wanted to come along into the blizzard on a dangerous trip into town. On the one hand, this was the kind of situation where groupthink could actually get in the way...everyone would want to weigh in, have their opinions heard and discussed, and in a crisis that meant things could spiral rapidly out of control. On the other, a wide range of skills and expertise, and just plain more boots on the ground, meant a wider range of challenges could be met.

Plus, it would give them a chance to talk out from under the watchful eyes of the resort staff.

"All right," she said curtly. "Everyone wants to come, you can all come. Ground rule though, and it isn't open to discussion. When shit hits the fan, I will give the orders. If I say something that sounds dumb, you can tell me as you're doing it. This is not me being a power mad asshole, this is me saying that someone has to be in charge in a crisis, or we'll spend our very limited time arguing about what the best way to respond is, instead of responding. Anyone who can't live with that can stay here."

She went over to Tenchi and shook her head slowly. "I'm not crazy about this idea, boss," she said in a lower tone. "It's a lot of cats to herd. Can I count on you to help keep them in line?"

Tenchi nodded.   "Of course."  He looked at the others.  "Everyone we bring from here is one less person we can bring back from Town, or the other 'cat.  Now Tryfon, myself and Juno were directly asked.  I do agree that having at least one person with medical training is a great idea.  Still, that said, I think most of us should remain here for now.  Whether this is a setup or not, The other Cat may not move and we'll have to accommodate the crew plus anyone they have with them."

"I also have medical training I can offer," Ali observed, "but you and Juno are also right about the issues with bringing too many people along. Second, while this is all strange and suspicious, we may be able to find out more if some of us wait here. Besides, I don't think it's fair to Karam, dragging him out, unless..." Ali turned to the youth, and asked in Arabic: "Do you want to go out into the cold? I'll stay here with you if you don't."

Raiko shakes her head. The idea of splitting up right now was causing the hairs on the back of her arms to stand on end. The same sense of screaming danger she got from Yojimbo, but somehow more malevolent, more focused on them. She lets out a long breath, shaking her head gently.

"No. I believe Kamala to be right. We are best served moving as one in this. There is a second Cat that can offset the extra bodies, and if push comes to shove, they can fit double the occupancy. People will get to know one another..... rather well, but it can be done." her tone was growing stronger as she progressed, Tenchi recognising the slip into her boardroom persona. The force of nature that wouldn't be deterred and usually walked away with more funding than the Board was comfortable with. It was hard to deny the utter conviction she spoke with.

"It would be criminal of us to not put everything we could into this. We have three doctors, two with military training, and two mechanics. We are best able to respond quickly to a developing situation...." her mind whirls, the idea of not using every resource available to her apalling "Assuming the snow cats have been receiving proper maintenance" directed at the concierge who nods, with an "Only the best"

She returns the nod decisively "Then the problem is likely to be environmental or electrical. Environmental we can't do much about, but..." she raises her voice "Tryfon, in the garage there should be some kits with spare parts. We may not need them, but if we can replace a transmission line and have everything work, it saves us a lot of problems." difficult to do in a growing blizzard, but that just added a thrill to the proceedings. She did her best work under horrible pressure.

"We have to go and acquire the pump for the furnace to heat the place anyway, so we're going to be going into the town. The extra people can scour it that much faster for any stragglers. Two doctors to triage while one treats any potential issues. Do you have any supplies you might need given the situation?" her question this time is directed to the doctors. She had the foundation of a working plan, but it required input from those specialized in given fields.

• Like 1

"I've still got my bag on me," Valentine said to Raiko. She wasn't discounting the arguments of the others for splitting up, but her vote for herself was firmly on going. This is, in various iterations, what she did for a living. "I'm sure between what supplies are in there and a first aid kit from here in the hotel, we can figure out most anything we might need." 

She thought over the numbers and counted up the group as it was. "There's not so many of us that even if the other Cat was completely full, so long as it's not doubled up, that we wouldn't be able to get everyone back in ours. I'd say let those that want to come, come and let those that want to stay maybe have a look around the hotel and see what they can figure out about this place. My personal opinion is for us to stick together."

After the Concierge left to get the cold weather gear Stacy spoke up, "We have all been singled out and brought here. We all know what happens in the horror movies to the ones who are alone. And, I didn't want to say anything before but with Kamala talking about scents coming off of people and strange sensations. I have also been having... strange sensations I can't put my finger on it or even describe what they feell, its like, I don't know, like when you dive into a really deep pool and your ears pop from the pressure but it's all over, inside, you know. It doesn't hurt but its weird. I feel like I should know what it is...but i don't recall ever feeling this way before. I really think we need to stay together."

"Well," Polly Prentis, the helicopter pilot, broke in, " I have heard quite enough. I am not going into town, my responsibility is my helo and the charter, but i'm beginning to think there is more to this we wasn't told about. " She gives Tenchi and Reiko a seriously disapproving look, "So 'm staying put right here. I'll keep Mr. Kamar company if he wants to stay which from his looks he ain't too keen on going out in that either." Polly gestures toward the big windows and the swirling whiteness beyond

Karam had been following the conversation as best he could with his limited English, he looks at Kamala and in Arabic, "I understand, what they are talking about but, I will go with you if you want me too." His voice nor his face betray any eagerness.

Raiko arcs one eyebrow at the glaring pilot, returning smoothly, in a tone about as chilly as the ongoing blizzard.

"You were furnished with as many details as were needed to fulfill your job. Everything that has happened since has been out of our hands and beyond our knowledge. So I offer our apologies for bringing you into the situation and would kindly ask you to keep your petulance to yourself. It offers you no credit. I will not force any unwilling to come." it is a struggle to keep the tone as civil as it is. Some whispering part of her wanting to do nothing but verbally eviscerate the pilot. She could understand wanting to stay, but to insinuate a wilful attempt to put others in harms way by herself or her brother. Unacceptable. She sighs, offering a bone

"Besides, if the weather is as bad as it is, odds are there will be need of a pilot at the end of everything. Good optics for your company, helping those stranded and in need of medical assistance and you will be compensated for your troubles." she turns to the group at large.

"Now, time is of the essence, so best make your decisions now. Stay or go."

Prentis looked ready to retort then screwed up her mouth in a nasty smirk and pushed her chair back standing, “Karam, I am staying here If you want you can keep me company, we can practice our language skill. But right now, I’m going to get a real drink.” She stalks off to the bar.

The rest of the group, some reluctantly, decide to go into town. Mainly because it is something to do besides sit and wait. The concierge returns with staff bearing cold weather gear, Parkas and snow boots, while the group puts the new clothing on the bartender approaches Reiko bearing two large thermoses and some plastic coffee cups in a bag. “This will help you stay warm and alert. Remember Raiko san, life is a test. And it is a test that can be failed.”  Without another word he spins on his heel and returns to the bar.

Karam makes his goodbyes and wishes Allah to guide Kamala and Valentine and apologizes for not being brave enough to go with them. He then joins the small pilot at the bar.

The concierge, dressed in a lighter parka than the rest but seemingly unaffected by the bitter cold, led them outside to where two sno-cats were parked both idling. One was noticeable larger than the other, they were painted in the dark blue and silver which were the brand colors of the resort. “This is yours,” he shouted over the howling wind, indicating the larger of the two cats as he led them to the ladder to the shell door, “I can’t let you take both we have to have one here in case of an emergency. But there can’t be many more people in town and there were only three in the other cats crew, and you can obviously carry more than the seating allows. We will be in contact with the radio, if conditions grow to severe, we will call you back, and please Mr Shirahara, comply if we call you back, I don’t want to lose anymore heroes.”

He waited outside as the party climbed aboard then the concierge disappeared into the swirling snow as he headed back toward the hotel.

18069d2e902d6167d245ff5208e0e495.jpg.52f9edff222d5eb34e21f1b5e58a205e.jpg

Inside the vehicle it was warm and roomy, if somewhat spartan in appearance. Tenchi and Juno took the two front seats which offered, much like an aircraft, dual controls albeit much simpler ones than they had been used to in the army. After a brief get acquainted moment with the cat, they put it into gear and began the trip to town.

Visibility was poor, beyond about fifty yards the flood lights could no longer penetrate the snow. Luckily the cat was equipped with a short, ranged ground radar which gave them a good picture of where the road was and where to avoid hazards like a sudden drop off a cliff and such. Even going slow, it only took them about ten minutes to go down the short distance to the town and once they entered the streets that were lined with buildings and houses visibility went up.

There was still power in the town as the streetlights were still on but none of the houses showed any lights, and many of the businesses were completely dark also.

The Cat edged down the main street toward where Cobbs Automotive was, the neon sign there was fully lit in contrast to the surroundings…

Spoiler

Okay Cat is in town you all are in the main street some yards from Cobbs automotive. Everyone has an eerie feeling. All of the PCs are present and the dwarf walter cobb is with you. I am available to answer any questions in discord. 

"Alright, let's get what we need from the shop.   First though, I think we should operate in teams of three.   We've got some rope,  I'd say we tie off  to each other in the group.   It is a blizzard, and that will prevent any mishaps I'd hope."   It was completely clear he was being cautious, while his combat experience was in the desert, he knew enough about this to not want to break up into groups that were too small.  

The eerie feeling that seemed to permeate the air.  He was on edge, and yet still kept his cool, mostly.  "Something's really off about all of this."

"Yeah, just a little," Juno said in reply. "Like, why are the streetlights on, but all the house lights out? That makes no sense unless they evacuated the town already, which isn't what we were told."

She listened to Tenchi's idea, then said, "There should already be another snowcat around, right? We'll stay in here and drive around the town until we find it on the radar. THEN we can get out. Hiking around the streets in a blizzard with no idea where we're going'll be too big a risk."

"So we need a thing from the shop though, yeah?" Juno sighed and threw the snowcat into idle, then unbuckled. "Alright, Cobbs, you're with us. You'll know where it is and what it looks like."

Edited by SalmonMax

On 4/10/2021 at 10:12 AM, SCION STORYTELLER said:

"It is going to take some time to disconnect the pump," answered the diminutive mechanic, as he slid off his seat, "Tryfon and I can handle this while the rest of you look for the other sno-cat"

Try clambered down from the sno-cat and following Walter headed into the shop to get the tools. "Miss, they are probably going to need your set of eyes on the lookout for the other sno-cat, but if you really want to come with us, just make sure to follow instructions during the removal of the pump from the furnace. We only get one shot at this, and there is a chance of a fire. We're working with a furnace, after all." He shuts up after that and is led by Cobb to the pump, where Cobb and Try will set to work removing the pump, and speak very little, both focused on the job at hand. If Juno is still with them, Occasionally Try will let her know how things are going.

Juno keeping with her employers direction of only operating in groups of threes ignored the suggestions of staying with the cat.

The dwarf led them inside the main showroom where they could hear the sound of a heavily muffled motor running. "Generator for the lights, its automatic," Cobb explained. He led them into the main shop and to the far wall where a half dozen professional tool kits sat and started pointing out what they would need to Tryfon.

Tenchi watched the three disappear into the Car dealership but turned back when he sensed someone nearby. His sister had taken the right-hand seat and was watching him. He nodded and put the large sno-cat into gear and started down the road.

Juno helped carry a few things but Try was weighted down, Cobb only carried the keys. The went to the back and outside and crossed to a small building on the right of where Try’s boss had her car stored. Cobb fumbled with the keys and opened the door a blast of hot air and the roar of an industrial heating furnace met them.

“We have to kill the power and then use the battery floods to give us light.” Cobb crossed to a wall and pointed up at a box which was out of his reach. “There.”

Tryfon was putting the tools down in a organized fashion so Juno crossed to the breaker box and opened it.

“Just flip the Big one.”

She did and they were plunged into darkness. But the noise and heat from the furnace kept going although something had changed.

“It will take a minute for the fuel in the lines to burn through then is will start getting cold,” Cobb said after he activated one of the bright halogen floods. “Put those other lights here and here…”

The heavy Sno-cat lurched through the snow-covered streets. They had checked in by radio, with the hotel and given the concierge a status update. However they received no replies to their attempts to contact the other cat.

Raiko watched the radar screen and gave directions to her brother, the rest of the group watched out the windows for nay sign of anyone still in town. They saw nothing. It was an eerie sight, total darkness with only the lights from the cat to illuminate the streets buried in snow, cars parked revealed only by radar, utterly no sign of life. It was almost like they had traveled to another planet covered in ice…

Juno felt like a third wheel. After the furnace ran out of fuel, Cobb and Tryfon,  gathered their tools and crawled behind the monstrous machine and began work, Cobb directing and Tryfon doing the labor. There wasn’t enough room for Juno to even watch what they did so she was standing back at the front getting cold. With the furnace off the heat dissipated quickly and the temp had dropped very fast, it was still above freezing but she didn’t think it would stay that way for long.

The hairs on the back of Juno’s neck stiffened and tingled, just like it had before in Afghanistan… She turned to the entrance and drew a breath.  The door was metal and had a wire meshed window set in it. When she turned she could have sworn she had seen a face looing in at her.

Raiko tensed the radar blipped on something large at the edge of its range, it could be the other sno-cat but that was beyond the towns limit toward the edge of the mountain. Why would it be out there?

Raiko had to supress a shiver of unease as they passed through the apparently empty town. It really was eerie, no sign of Human life other than their own and nothing to hear but the howling of the wind. It was like something out of one of the Horror flicks she enjoyed. Well, she was certainly cursing it now. She clicks her tongue in consternation as the Radar shows a blip.

"Got something big on the Radar, Tenchi. Very edge of our range." she looks over at her brother, before nodding in the direction the blip would be coming from. "A couple hundred meters that way. Doesn't seem to be moving." she leans forward, adjusting the Radar. "Looks like it might be our wayward Cat." she sucks in  a breath. "Looks to be very close to the drop off. Gonna need to be very careful when we get there."

She picks up the transmitter "Gonna let the hotel know we found something and see if I can raise the Cat once more. May want to get prepped in case of injuries. Don't know why they ain't answering, but it's probably nothing good." the last she calls over her shoulder to the others in the cabin behind her.

Snuggled into the Cat and as warm as anyone could be in this situation, Valentine watched as the city rolled by. It was surreal, all the snow falling and blanketing the city not just in delicate frozen ice, but in silence as well. She was grateful for the background noise of the Cat and the others in there with her - after the strangeness of the passage at En'gannokt she wasn't sure how much more 'silent and strange' she was up for today. 

At Raiko's call to be prepared, Valentine double-checked her restocked bag of supplies from the hotel. Her mind fell into 'emergency doctor' mode easily, letting her ignore the fantastical facts of where she was and how impossible everything was to focus on helping other people that might be anything from fine to suffering hypothermia to. . . well, whatever they might be doing at the edge of a cliff in a blizzard. "Ready when needed," she stated to the group. 

While Raiko reported to the hotel, Tenchi read the small radar screen and adjusted his course through town toward the blip his sister believed to be the missing Sno-cat. After jogging through several narrow streets they cam to what was ostensibly the edge of the town.

The cat rumbled over a small railing designed to keep people from going where they were going. The snow was much worse outside of town, visibility had dropped to ten or fifteen yards at best and wasn't very good within the range they could make out. If they hadn't of had the radar it would have been suicide to drive out here.

As they got close enough, guided by the radar, Tenchi finely caught a glimpse of the vehicle and slowed. There were no lights and they couldn't see any exhaust.  Tench pulled as close as he could,"I'm going to go out check it out it looks abandoned from here. I know what I said earlier,” he said as he attached one of the life lines to his belt, “about not separating but it's right here and Raiko can keep me in sight. The rest of you be ready if they are hurt I will wave, I will need help to move them to this vehicle.”

Of course nothing went to plan on this trip, but he wanted to help the people regardless.   Dressed warmly, Tenchi exited the Cat and made his way to the front, pulling out more than enough of the cable to reach it.  "Alright I can't see inside from out here let's this the old fashioned way.” With the blizzard howling around him, he moved forward, to the front of the Cat, then, with Dexterity born of years of practice, he climbed up to the door saw that the windows were frost rimmed and he couldn't see inside so he tried to open the door. At first it resisted but then with superhuman effort he heaved one last time and broke the frozen mechanism and swung the door open. "Hey, anyone in here?/

The question was carried away by the howling wind. There was no one inside who could answer him. The interior was full of snow and ice from a portion of the roof which was peeled back and from the front wind-screen on the drivers side which was smashed in and under the beam of his flash light Tenchi saw what looked like frozen blood on the edge of the broken glass. He played the light around and saw that the snow at least did not cover any bodies. He went to the drivers seat and looked out the smashed window. The cat was on the very edge of the cliff he couldn't see how far down it was because of the swilling snow. But he did notice that the window had been smashed in from the outside.

Raiko watched her brother disapper in the snow. She did not like this, she looked around at the rest of the people, starngers caught in a web and all she could think of was the bartendr and what he had said.

“Remember Raiko san, life is a test. And it is a test that can be failed.”

Juno didn't jumpscare easily. Even before Afghanistan she was accustomed to tense situations.

That face though. Only a glimpse, just a...suggestion, maybe. She didn't argue with her instincts though. There had been a face, and it had been wrong. It was hard for her say exactly what was wrong in hindsight. It had been pale, narrow...but not normally pale. Really pale, like the snow.

She pulled the glove on her right hand tight, then reached back and pulled her gun to make sure it wouldn't mess with her shooting too much. It wouldn't be great, Juno could tell. She could barely 'feel' the trigger through the cloth. But there was enough space in there to fit a fingertip without constantly worrying about accidentally taking a shot if the safety was off. Barely.

"Tryfon," she called crisply. "Cobb. How much longer?"

Her eyes roved the space to take inventory. Windows. Doors. Ways in, ways out. Shelves. Desks. Tables. Things that could block ways in, ways out. If they were going to stay here, some fortification might be in order.

“It will take as long as it takes,” Cobb's disembodied voice carried from beneath and behind the furnace, “I told you this would take time. You should have stayed with the others if you were going to be impatient.” Try just grunted, Juno wasn't sure if the grunt was at her or some recalcitrant bolt. She bit off a reply and made a quick assessment of their position.

One door, steel with a metal meshed window. It opened outward, so barricading it was not going to do much good but it had a built on metal locking bar which when set went into the sheds frame. It looked sturdy enough. No other exits except for the large double windows one set into each wall flanking the furnace. Both windows had metal screens bolted on the outside, looking out all she could see was shadow and snow. There were plenty of shelve she could move to cover them up but nothing to actually seal them and while the screens might server to deter thieves for some reason she didn't think that was what she was dealing with.

She began working, first she barred the door and slid the only desk in the shed over in front of it for good measure, then she began moving shelving in front of the windows. Once she was heaving a long book case that held magazines onto it end to set on top of the desk , she caught Cobb watching her from where he had crawled out from the furnace probably wondering what all the noise was. Their eyes locked, then his darted around taking in what she was doing. With a grimace he nodded slightly then slid back under the furnace. Juno heard a mumbled “Hurry up Try, we are running out of time.”

He hadn't said a word to Juno. All of this reminded her of the boat and the samurai. At that thought her mind replayed the events of that night, the Samurai walking toward her, and then she remembered the bartender at the hotel and the way he walked toward them with the coffee thermoses. Her mind superimposed the two thought images into one. What the fuck?

Just then there was a loud bang as something hit the metal door with enough force to rattle the building!

Cold was a much a familiar enemy to survival as heat, starvation, and dehydration to Kamala, but this much snow was a new one. 

Looking out the window of the snowcat and bundled up in borrowed clothes against chill, she wished Karam the best and promised to check up on him soon as they got back with any rescues or supplies. Her dark eyes swept the darkness outside, the flurrying flakes dropping out of a wind-ravaged sky, and tried not to think of evils unasked for human or otherwise. Part of her was bracing for it, certain that the other bomb would drop anytime now. She clutched the strap of a first aid kit that contained more pristine supplies in one place then she was used to being able to use in one go.

Valentine's little statement, make to reassure herself as much as the rest of them unless she missed her guess, brought a chuckle to Kamala's lips, the sound warm and pleasant in their little metal box of security amid the storm.